Great Blue Heron at Granite Pointe

riotam...@yahoo.co.uk

May 8, 2024, 12:59:23 AMMay 8
to West Kootenay Birds
On May 6th 2022, the Nelson Star published an article about the apparent destruction of nesting sites for several great blue heron on land owned by the Granite Pointe Golf Club in Nelson. Following quickly on the heels of how distressing this abuse of a protected species was came a denial from the Club that any nests even existed. Not that they weren't aware of any, but that they simply were not there.

Does anyone happen to know if the conservation officer was at any point involved in 2022? I know a couple of biologists were quoted in the Star, but does anyone in the WKBirds circle know anything more about those events? I ask because there are still at least two active nests (so that's a rookery), and, as a relative newcomer to this part of Nelson, I am interested to find out how things were left viz a viz land clearance + herons.

Thanks for any info,

Chris D