Lunar Eclipse

jim and sandy phfistner

Nov 16, 2021, 9:26:17 AM11/16/21
to wkaa, Trent Okerson, noahb...@wpsdlocal6.com, kaylee...@wpsdlocal6.com
Hi All:

Remember to get complete rest before midnight on Thursday evening, because a 6 hour and 1 minute partial lunar eclipse occurs.  The 97 percent covered moon will begin on Friday morning at:

12:02am : Penumbra eclipse begins @ 199 deg
                   SW @ 70.3 deg altitude
1:18am:     Partial eclipse begins @ 237 deg
                   WSW @ 60.9 deg altitude
3:02am:     Maximum eclipse @ 262 deg WSW
                    @ 41.9 deg altitude
4:47am:     Partial eclipse ends @ 277 deg WSW
                   @ 21.8 deg altitude
6: 03am:    Penumbra eclipse ends @ 288 deg
                   @ 7.5 deg altitude

This is the longest partial lunar eclipse since Feb 18, 1440 - 580 years ago. The next time a partial lunar eclipse reaches this length is in 2669 - close to 650 years.

Total lunar eclipses are rare. The next one is in May, 2022.

Note: Above times are for Paducah, KY. Check for your local time zone.

Enjoy, if weather permits.

Jim⁰

jim and sandy phfistner

Nov 19, 2021, 4:35:58 AM11/19/21
to wkaa
Hi All:

Nice experience, to view the 99-percent Lunar eclipse. Unfortunately, no decent photos to share. My cellphone incapable of producing a clear photo - all attempts over exposed.

Hope someone managed to obtain good photos to share.

I'll be more prepared for the next one in 2660!!!

It was cold to view, but a joy to witness this rare event.  Also, it was nice to have clear skies for an astronomical observation in western Kentucky for a change. But this was not a saturday evening session, that's why.

Until next astro event,  Jim

Paul Spurlock

Nov 19, 2021, 4:41:04 AM11/19/21
to wk...@googlegroups.com
Clear and cool in Old Hickory, TN but great to see even in a city. Pic attached, not great but OK.
Paul Spurlock

IMG_1572.JPG

John Holland

Nov 19, 2021, 5:02:43 AM11/19/21
to WKAABigList
I got up about 2:45 and viewed it from a 70° atmosphere through the sliding glass doors. Caught it prior to the peak.

P.S. Paul, thanks for the share.

JH

Bob Vickers

Nov 19, 2021, 9:24:56 AM11/19/21
to John Holland, WKAABigList
Glad you all got to see the eclipse. The weather here was clear and cold, also.

Melissa and I set alarms for 1:20, 3:00, and 4:35 am. So, we saw the beginning, middle, and end of the eclipse. Like previous lunar eclipses, the Moon looked to me like a porcelain globe lit from within. Really beautiful. I also got lucky this time and while I was watching through binoculars at the midpoint, I saw a fairly bright, slow-moving meteor go right "through" the Moon! Probably a Leonid.

Nice pic Paul. Ours did not turn out very good.

Bob & Melissa

Nov 19, 2021, 11:15:10 AM11/19/21
to wkaa
Hey everyone, first email to the group. I managed to grab a bunch of shots of the eclipse this morning, unfortunately I was only able to get out a tripod instead of my full rig to steady everything. I plan on making a composite image of a few of the shots this evening but for now here's a quick edit of one frame. This was taken right around 3 am.

DSC_2998_quick_edit.jpg