indicator definition is flakey

c...@evnbttr.com

May 6, 2020, 7:36:56 PM5/6/20
to Wizard User Group
Hi... exploring Wizard and trying to create an indicator variable based on "COVID" being contained in one of 5 columns. I'm using "Any" and 5 "contains" conditions. However, as I build up the filter, it contains fewer matches with each condition I add, instead of catching more of the values. Is it choking on NULL values? Any workarounds? Thanks!

Evan Miller

May 7, 2020, 8:49:21 AM5/7/20
to wizard...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

It's an interesting case, and as you suspect has to do with the NULL values. Right now a row in the Indicator is considered "Missing" if the same row in any of the condition columns is missing.

This behavior made sense in the old days when Indicator variables could only apply to "All" conditions. However, with "Any" flipped on, it creates unexpected results, as you saw. The only workaround right now is to ensure there are no missing values in the condition columns. I'll have a better solution in a future update.

Best

Evan

On May 6, 2020, at 18:59, c...@evnbttr.com wrote:

Hi... exploring Wizard and trying to create an indicator variable based on "COVID" being contained in one of 5 columns. I'm using "Any" and 5 "contains" conditions. However, as I build up the filter, it contains fewer matches with each condition I add, instead of catching more of the values. Is it choking on NULL values? Any workarounds? Thanks!

Cam Balzer

May 7, 2020, 11:25:19 AM5/7/20
to Wizard User Group
OK thanks Evan!

Is there a way to rewrite missing values in Wizard? Or is it better to do it before importing the data?