Formatting Excel Export Files

Mark Stetz

May 5, 2021, 12:52:58 PM5/5/21
to Wizard User Group
New guy here. Recently started using Wizard for time-series data analysis for tasks that are especially painful in Excel. One issue I've noted is the not-quite-compatible data formats between the two programs. For example, I work with time-series data in 10 to 60 minute intervals. When I export from Wizard to an Excel file, the time stamp looks like "4/24/21, 1:30 PM". The presence of that comma is not only superfluous, it confuses Excel into thinking the field is text and not a timestamp. Sure, I can remove it use the the find & replace feature, but why should I have to? So a nice minor tweak would be to remove that comma when exporting to an Excel file so that it's actually compatible. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the speed at which I can create a pivot table to average & sum measured values by hour or day. There are some other idiosyncrasies I've identified, but some of these are just due to being a newbie. My goal is to spend more time in Wizard and less in Excel.

Evan Miller

May 6, 2021, 4:23:57 PM5/6/21
to wizard...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

Sorry for the delay getting back to you here - right now Wizard exports all of the left-hand pivot categories as localized strings, hence the comma in the timestamp. In the future, I should be able to change this behavior to export as a native date/time (number) instead. Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention.

Evan