Fuels that have burned in a WiseWay Pellet Stove...

Kevin Colussi

Oct 27, 2012, 8:34:51 PM10/27/12
to wise...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I wanted to start a new thread so we can keep track of fuels and burn details specific to
WiseWay Stoves...  Please fill out the form below and post it here to reporting your
findings...  :)  Examples might include softwood pellets, hardwood pellets, junk mail pellets,
wood chips, saw dust, biomass pellets, biomass briquettes and everything in between!

=======================================
Material (biomass ratios if applicable) :
Fuel Size and Type :
Manufacture :
Relative Ash Quantity (1-high; 5-low) :
BTU Output Quality (1-poor; 5-great) :
Quantity Actually Burned (lbs) :
Comments :
=======================================

Looking forward to hearing about your biomass experiments!

Gary Wisener

Oct 27, 2012, 8:53:54 PM10/27/12
to wise...@googlegroups.com

I certainly don't want to disparage experimentation but it must be said that EPA certification and Ul testing of the stove requires the use of a commercially made wood pellet that meets or exceeds apfi standards

Kevin Colussi

Oct 27, 2012, 10:18:50 PM10/27/12
to wise...@googlegroups.com
Understood and glad you made that comment here!  UL and EPA certs are only related to
commercial wood pellets....  All readers have been warned!!!

Gary -- This being said have you ever thought about a burn chamber that can handle biomass?  If
so what types?  Briquettes from saw dust and junk mail seem easy to produce (youtube videos)...
Just wondering...

Thanks,
-- Kevin

Kevin Colussi

Nov 4, 2012, 12:41:13 AM11/4/12
to wise...@googlegroups.com
Correction on this one... After talk w/ Gary on the phone... The stove is completely
safe for biomass solid fuels of all types per the UL certification... The EPA certification
was for commercial wood pellets...  Not Biomass...   Check your area to see if you
fall under required EPA standards... If you do beacuse pollution levels are high...
You'll need to burn commercial wood pellets to get the 1.9g per hour out of the
stove.

Now lets see those biomass fuel recipes!  :)

-- Kevin

tyler towers

Nov 16, 2012, 10:16:56 PM11/16/12
to wise...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Has anyone tried corn in a WiseWay?

Thanks,

Tyler

Gary Wisener

Nov 16, 2012, 10:39:58 PM11/16/12
to wise...@googlegroups.com

hi Tyler yes we have tried corn in our stove I went down to the feed store and bought some I don't know if that is the correct kind of corn to use or not it did burn in our stove but it is a lot dirtier and has a tendency to clogged primary burn chamber it has a lot of sugar in it and makes like a burnt sugar crystal in it so we don't recommend burning Corn unless there's a different kind of corn that I can try

Dave Westbrook

Nov 17, 2012, 10:36:17 PM11/17/12
to wise...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary, I have friends that burned corn in the past, they no longer do so because it's not cost effective at the price of corn. Anyway, nothing special about the corn, just plain ol' feed corn bought from the feed mill or local farmer. It's not only dirtier to burn than pellets, as you mentioned, the exhaust is much more corrosive, even to stainless steel, if it's allowed to condensate.

Gary Wisener

Nov 17, 2012, 10:37:56 PM11/17/12
to wise...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Dave

Gregory Salvatore

Mar 14, 2013, 11:19:51 AM3/14/13
to wise...@googlegroups.com
Hi All
I have watched most the vids on youtube and been on the web site 6 or 8 times so far and I have sent e-mail to Gary but I will post this any way , I am setting up a biomass pellet mill on my farm to make pellets from left over hay and extra hay from my farm , I am interested in the stove and becoming a dealer , I am testing the pellets I made so far in my current old pellet stove they burn ok a bit more ash and a bit less heat but way cheaper for me make and use , I hope to talk to you guys soon
Greg Salvatore
Sob-Sal Acres Farm
Grass fed Grain finished Beef
American British White Parks
(570)677-8377

Info Desk

Mar 14, 2013, 12:07:41 PM3/14/13
to wise...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

The manufacture has just updated there website to show all national distributors.  One of them would be happy to set you
up as a dealer... Please contact the one for your state.  This info is hot off the press, so please forgive us for not getting back
w/ you sooner... We are still having some growing pains as a company... We'll get it right, you can be assured of that it's
just taking some time... :)

http://www.wisewaypelletstoves.com/dealer

Best Regards and looking forward to hearing more about those pellets!!!  Please post your findings here so we
can all learn... :)

-- Kevin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sustainable Products of Montana
Email: in...@sustainmt.com
Phone: 406-219-1414
Website:  http://sustainmt.com
               http://helenalocal.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sustainable Products of Montana
Email: in...@sustainmt.com
Phone: 406-219-1414
Website:  http://sustainmt.com
               http://helenalocal.org

Gregory Salvatore

Mar 14, 2013, 12:32:59 PM3/14/13
to wise...@googlegroups.com, in...@sustainmt.com
Thanks Kevin
I am going to call them now , And I will keep you posted on the pellets , I hope to be able to sell them when I get set up my mill will put out 900 lbs per hr of soft biomass (hay and straw) so I should be able to make a bunch

Info Desk

Mar 14, 2013, 12:41:10 PM3/14/13
to wise...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great... Best of luck!
-- Kevin

Gregory Salvatore

Mar 14, 2013, 1:19:00 PM3/14/13
to wise...@googlegroups.com, in...@sustainmt.com
Kevin
I just got off the phone with Wiseway East Coast they were great , I have to run some thing by the rest of the family here on the farm later on tonight

Gregory Salvatore

Mar 18, 2013, 6:19:54 PM3/18/13
to wise...@googlegroups.com
In a week or so I should have my pellet mill set up and going If you guys wanted to test pellets made from different things let me know and we can work some thing out in you are interested
Greg

Gary Wisener

Mar 18, 2013, 7:24:27 PM3/18/13
to wise...@googlegroups.com

Thanks sounds good Greg

Dee Copley

Mar 26, 2013, 11:07:12 AM3/26/13
to wise...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

I saw your thread and I thought I'd give my 2 cents. Todd will probably need to adjust it though! lol

We have only used wood pellets.

We started the stove with what we had already purchased in bulk for our other stoves, Cleanfire Pacific, a softwood, low ash .37%, about 8500 BTU as received, 8800 BTU moisture free. We had no issues and the product was consistent. (We had 9 tons originally for 2 buildings for the winter, and may have put a ton or more through the WiseWay.)
Relative Ash Quantity (1-high; 5-low) : 5
BTU Output Quality (1-poor; 5-great) : 5

Then we decided to try some premium area softwood pellets The first ton burned noticably hotter and we were really please. The 2nd ton apparently had more pine in it as Todd's hands broke out and he's allergic to pine resin. It also evidently gummed up the inside of the stove as we had our first hopper burns as well. That was when we switched to trying the hardwood.
Relative Ash Quantity (1-high; 5-low) : 3
BTU Output Quality (1-poor; 5-great) : 5

We are currently burning a couple of tons of Energex Hardwood Pellets out of PA, Premium Grade, simply say less than 1% ash on the bag, no btu. Higher ash than softwood and we find it takes being more diligent on the ash tray and secondary burn chamber so there's no problem.
Relative Ash Quantity (1-high; 5-low) : 1
BTU Output Quality (1-poor; 5-great) : 3

 I will say we use the space where the WiseWay stove is now more than the other spaces. It went from the coldest room to the warmest!

Dee

Bill Urban

Jun 4, 2013, 1:28:32 PM6/4/13
to wise...@googlegroups.com
Hello Kevin,

I'm not a Wiseway owner. I just recently heard about the stove and am intrigued by it. Have been perusing the website and this forum to learn more. One alternative fuel that I don't see any responses on in this thread is wood chips. Has anyone tried that?

Kevin McAuslan

Jan 3, 2014, 9:07:49 AM1/3/14
to wise...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary, I would like to purchase a Wiseway stove but I'm in Orangeville, Ontario - Canada. Is there a dealer up here or do I need to purchase it through an Eastern USA Dealer?
I'm also intrigued about the possibility of burning biomass as well but I'll likely stick to hardwood pellets initially.

Kevin

Gary Wisener

Jan 3, 2014, 11:36:04 AM1/3/14
to wise...@googlegroups.com

Contact gravity feed Stoves in Vermont they are our distributors on the east coast I will forward this to them