dynamic link wiredtiger to mongodb

Matan Tennenhaus

May 9, 2024, 7:23:18 AMMay 9
to wiredtiger-users
Hi!
I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to dynamic link custom Wiredtiger version to Mongdb. (by default it's statically linked).
I know its more related to Mongodb code and compilation process, but I figured that the Wiredtiger team might have more experience in this field.
Appreciate any help.
thanks,
Matan.

Will Korteland

May 10, 2024, 1:19:22 AMMay 10
to wiredtig...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matan,

Thanks for your interest in WiredTiger, and I'm sorry to hear that you're having a rough time getting it linked into MongoDB.

You're right that it's more of a MongoDB question than a WiredTiger question, but I can at least offer some context. MongoDB isn't tested in a way that allows it to treat WiredTiger as a separate library. There can be subtle changes over time that rely on new (or old) behaviour in WiredTiger, so linking against a different WiredTiger version risks correctness and performance issues.

The way MongoDB "consumes" WiredTiger is as a vendored dependency, where WiredTiger's source code is copied into the MongoDB repository and built alongside the rest of MongoDB. So the approach of linking it separately isn't well-covered ground.

Apologies if that's not the news you wanted to hear - if you have any WiredTiger-related questions, I'd be happy to provide further help.

Regards,
 - Will

Matan Tennenhaus

May 10, 2024, 1:45:39 AMMay 10
to wiredtiger-users
Thanks for the answer.
I am familiar with the fact that specific Wiredtiger version source code is copied to MongoDB. However, It does not change the fact the Wiredtiger can be dynamic linked.. and the shared object file can be changed after linking of course.
My motivation is the I want to test custom Wiredtiger version with my changes on top of MongoDB, and I want to skip the part where I need to compile mongo each time again(because it statically linking Wiredtiger).
So even if it is not well tested, I would appreciate any help with instructions for that.
Many thanks in advance,
Matan.
ב-יום שישי, 10 במאי 2024 בשעה 08:19:22 UTC+3, Will Korteland כתב/ה:

Matan Tennenhaus

May 10, 2024, 1:48:25 AMMay 10
to wiredtiger-users
By the way I found the following thread but the instructions in it does not work for me.. if that helps somehow:
https://groups.google.com/g/mongodb-user/c/SL3I4Cv5rrA
Thanks.
ב-יום שישי, 10 במאי 2024 בשעה 08:45:39 UTC+3, Matan Tennenhaus כתב/ה:

Will Korteland

May 17, 2024, 12:33:42 AMMay 17
to wiredtig...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matan,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, we've had an internal team event for the last few days.

That "use-system-wiredtiger" option is part of Scons, which is MongoDB's build system so unfortunately I'm not able to offer meaningful help with that. My understanding is that it has recently changed to Bazel, but this is not something I've got first-hand experience with.

The mongodb-users group was deprecated in favour of the community forums, so I'd suggest asking over there. Sorry if that sounded dismissive, but your question does seem to be more about MongoDB than WiredTiger. If there are any WiredTiger-related parts we'd be happy to provide further help on this list.

Regards,
 - Will