Does Wiredtiger need to comply with the SSPL protocol? Can it be used to other self-developed or open-source databases (Apache Software Foundation)?

杨亚洲

Apr 7, 2024, 2:00:30 AMApr 7
to wiredtiger-users
In my region, Rocksdb is very popular, and almost all self-developed databases are based on Rocksdb.  However, Rocksdb has a pain point, with relatively poor read performance and no advantage in some business scenarios where there is more read and less write.

Wiredtiger is very excellent, especially in reading scenarios. when more reading and less writing, Wiredtiger's performance is better than Rocksdb. However, the vast majority of developers don't know that Wiredtiger's performance is better. so I want to reference Wiredtiger to other open source databases, this can truly help them to compare Wiredtiger's read and write performance, gradually enhancing Wiredtiger's global influence.

MongoDB has changed the license to SSPL. I would like to know if WiredTiger needs to comply with this protocol. Can someone help answer this question? thanks

If I introduce it into other self-developed or open-source databases, will I bear legal risks?

Will Korteland

Apr 7, 2024, 8:20:16 PMApr 7
to wiredtig...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the continued interest in WiredTiger! It's good to hear it's performing well for your use case.

WiredTiger did not change to the SSPL with MongoDB - it still has the same license as always, which is primarily GPLv2/v3, with some 3-clause BSD and public domain mixed in. The full details are listed in our documentation on this page: https://source.wiredtiger.com/develop/license.html

Hopefully that's useful to you - if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
 - Will

杨亚洲

Apr 8, 2024, 2:15:19 AMApr 8