Differences from Python.org in execution behavior

Glenn Linderman

Jan 17, 2023, 4:54:50 PM1/17/23
to winp...@googlegroups.com
I have a winpython 3.7.2 installation in a Dropbox folder but want to
upgrade to 3.11.1.  I had been using a version of winpython (Zero) that
didn't have lots of packages included, the installer size was about
27MB.  The 3.11.1.0rc I just dowloaded is 549MB!  It is still unpcaking!
Wow!

Two questions.

Question 1.

Is there a way to install or extract something corresponding to the Zero
version I was using before?

Question 2.

Compared to the python.org distribution that I have installed on my
local machine in Program Files, a .net-based program I use, SyMenu, can
successfully run the winpython on my Dropbox folder, but telling it to
run the 3.11.1 I have from python.org, I get an error:

The Process object must have the UseShellExecute property set to false
in order to use environment variables.

The author of SyMenu doesn't seem to understand why, and neither do I.
Is there knowledge of this error here?  It would seem to be more about
the installation and configuration settings, than the version or
functionality of Python itself.

Glenn Linderman

Jan 17, 2023, 8:01:28 PM1/17/23
to winp...@googlegroups.com
OK, I found this thread†, and guess Zero has been replaced by even
smaller "dot" build? I just had no clue what it was, when I saw it
there in the releases. Looks like what I need, probably. Will need to
test and see.

https://github.com/winpython/winpython/issues/683

But I have another question, besides the unanswered question 2.

Question 3.

Have the 32-bit builds of winpython been abandoned?

I've been using both 32 and 64, as some of my users (at least in the
past) were still using 32-bit installations. I haven't polled them
lately to know if they've all upgraded or not. I still have a 32-bit
tablet running Win10, but I don't use it for this application, and it
seems really slow these days, but good enough for email and minor web
browsing when traveling. Yes, I'm aware there is no 32-bit Win11, but
not everyone upgrades the day a new OS is released.