Future of Flash

Arsene Lupin

Jul 22, 2015, 12:40:35 AM7/22/15
to wink-discuss
I find Wink extraordinary useful in its brilliant simplicity and quality of output. It is in daily use in our course design department. However, Flash is receiving so much security criticism now and is being blocked by FireFox and other browsers. Is there any possibility of Wink rendering HTML5 output in the future? Alternatively, are there other users here that know of open-source screen recording software (such as Wink), that create HTML5 files?

Many thanks

Satish

Jul 23, 2015, 5:31:23 AM7/23/15
to wink-discuss, aur...@gmail.com, aur...@gmail.com
Great point. I didn't realise Firefox is auto-disabling Flash now. I have a HTML5 output prototype working but never found time to clean it up and release. Will try to make some time in the near future.

- Satish

Victor Berrones

Jul 23, 2015, 7:02:31 AM7/23/15
to wink-d...@googlegroups.com
Nice! I dont say much, but this is worth a comment.

LE

Jul 24, 2015, 2:04:01 AM7/24/15
to Satish, wink-discuss
I am just concerned that Flash may be on its way out . One reads so many doom articles. Of bigger concern (of course) is that I may not be able to use Wink for the next 500 years still ;-) Nothing in my mind is simpler and faster than Wink. No bloat! On a more serious note, HTML5 is also so adaptive to different screen sizes on mobile devices.
--
Fax Number: +27865113811

"We can’t plead ignorance, only indifference."

Pick a side: neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

Life cannot be classified in terms of a simple neurological ladder, with human beings at the top; it is more accurate to talk of different forms of intelligence, each with its strengths and weaknesses. This point was well demonstrated in the minutes before the tsunami, when tourists grabbed their digital cameras and ran after the ebbing surf, and all the 'dumb' animals made for the hills.  - B.R. Myers

Danny Verheyden

Aug 25, 2015, 8:16:11 AM8/25/15
to wink-discuss, satish....@gmail.com
I'm using WINK for several years, top tool!
I'm also waiting for HTML5 support...... Hope you it can be arranged soon......I don't want to switch to another tool.....

Bob Miller

Sep 23, 2015, 8:17:12 AM9/23/15
to wink-discuss
Hi Satish,

I just wanted to weigh in on the Flash/HTML5 output discussion.  Like so many others, I have been using Wink for years (since the 1.x days).  I just wanted to propose the idea of releasing alpha/beta versions of Wink with your experimental/new features.  Looking over threads from the past several years, I see mentioned various fixes that are in the works for 'this issue and that', but the Wink version remains unchanged for 5+ years.  In spite of it's age, Wink still has a large and faithful user base, and I know that many of us would be willing to test and offer feedback on beta versions.  Alternatively, is there any chance of releasing Wink as open source?  I seem to recall that being mentioned a long time ago - not sure if that is still a possibility.

As I see it, the ability to render output in HTML5 is critical to the future of Wink.  (At my company, we are undertaking a massive effort to do away with all things Flash - including several year's worth of my "Wink" projects.)

Thank you Satish, for taking the time to read this, and for creating Wink - which is arguably the best presentation/CBT-making tool in existence.

Sincerely,

Bob M.

LE

Sep 23, 2015, 8:26:53 AM9/23/15
to wink-d...@googlegroups.com

I will be willing to test. Great idea.

Bob Miller

Sep 23, 2015, 8:33:14 AM9/23/15
to wink-discuss
Hi Arsene,

Have you experimented with taking the .swf (compressed) output and using Google's "Swiffy" tool to convert it to HTML5?  It sort-of works, but is not a bulletproof solution:

1. SWF file has to be < 1MB

2. The generated .HTML file has to be edited to re-size the output (look about 10 lines up from bottom of file, find line:   <div id="swiffycontainer" style="width: 51px; height:...    and change width and height to match original Wink project dimensions.)

3. There is often "bleed thru" from the previous frame into the next.  I have experimented with various Wink project settings, capturing multiple identical frames, etc. but the bleed-thru problem persists in the HTML5 output.  Maybe in your projects it won't be an issue.  But for many of my presentations/CBT's, the output was simply too ugly to use.

The Swiffy size limitations and bleed thru issues are the deal-breakers for me.  But I mention it here because, for smaller projects, sometimes the output is acceptable, and you (or someone stumbling across this thread) may find it useful.

Sincerely,

Bob M.

Satish

Sep 23, 2015, 5:12:01 PM9/23/15
to wink-discuss
Thanks Bob and Arsene. Definitely want to do betas again and release new versions of Wink. Trying hard to find the time very soon :)

- Satish

"B"

Jan 21, 2016, 4:02:27 AM1/21/16
to wink-discuss
Hi Satish... would love to see a new version of Wink. I've been using 2.0 for a long long time now and it's great!! But with Flash on it's way out, it can be greater with HTML5.

jez lawrence

Mar 20, 2016, 7:15:55 PM3/20/16
to wink-discuss
Would like to add my own voice to the need for html5 output. If I'm ever to convince my work to switch to this from v expensive captivate for in house "quick guides", I need to be able to demonstrate a move away from flash dependency. And I really like wink so I want to be able to put it in the mix ;)

Bill

Nov 25, 2019, 8:07:38 AM11/25/19
to wink-discuss
My company will discontinue the ability to use FLASH at the end of DEC-2019.
When that happens, all of my Wink output will become inaccessible.
Hoping for a new version of Wink with an alternative. (HTML5? Not familiar.)

Thanks

Bill

BSA-Thib

Nov 25, 2019, 8:26:10 AM11/25/19
to wink-discuss
I am in the same situation.
We use the Wink product a lot and I have many flash files that I want to be able to continue using. I really need a version of Wink that can export my old work in HTML5 and produce new ones.

Thanks

Banibrata Dutta

Nov 25, 2019, 9:43:29 AM11/25/19
to wink-d...@googlegroups.com
Just curious, even though I've not used Wink in a while now, but would love to if I can -- isn't there anyway to convert from Flash to HTML5, using a converter ?

Satish

Jan 18, 2020, 5:00:05 PM1/18/20
to wink-discuss
Just a quick update - I'm actively working on Wink at this point and hope to release an update with an alternative to Flash soon.

- Satish

BSA-Thib

Jan 19, 2020, 3:48:29 AM1/19/20
to wink-discuss