Re: Digest for wink-discuss@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Arjan de Haas

Dec 19, 2021, 5:17:19 PM12/19/21
to wink-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear that you don’t have time anymore. When moving to version 3.0 someone suggested to make it open source to let other people help you to get to version 3.
Curious to find out why you prefer to make Wink commercial instead of open source.

Regards,
Arjan

On 19 Dec 2021, at 17:40, wink-d...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Satish <satish....@gmail.com>: Dec 19 12:20AM -0800

Hi all,

There continues to be demand for Wink and building new features, but I'm
not finding enough time to work on it. So I've asked a small company I
know, CuminCode, to pick it up and continue further development. In
addition to the current free version of Wink, they will create a paid
version for companies/enterprises and advanced users. I hope this will make
Wink more useful and build out great new features over time.

If you have feature requests you'd like to see in the next version, please
share your thoughts in this Google Form - Feature requests for Wink 4.0
<https://forms.gle/QRXUmZvqxpKLJQqT8>.

Regards
Satish

Satish

Dec 19, 2021, 8:09:54 PM12/19/21
to wink-discuss
Wink was developed over many decades (!), so the codebase is in no shape to open source.. it requires a lot of work even to put it out for open source. I did this earlier with another software of mine and also ended up being the sole developer on it, even after open sourcing. On the other hand, CuminCode is very motivated to work on it and maintain it for many years to come, which will be a huge win for all of Wink's current & future users.
Satish

Tony Rains

Dec 29, 2021, 6:52:36 PM12/29/21
to wink-discuss

Thank you, Satish, for all your hard work and ingenuity in developing such a powerful and accessible tool. I came to Wink as an educator, so my focus is on the interactivity and animation aspects of Wink. I have been able to approximate the functionality of a paid tool costing hundreds of dollars more. Being free, it is quite accessible to front-line educators as well.

I am happy you found a new home to Wink to update and grow in and wish you all the best.