Open wine database

James Jory

Mar 9, 2007, 1:46:52 PM3/9/07
to win...@googlegroups.com
As a followup to the open wine database topic from yesterday's chat, the
Freebase project (http://www.freebase.com/) is interesting food for
thought. It's described as a "wikipedia like system for building the
semantic web".

It's currently only open by invitation but you can read about it here:

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/03/freebase_will_p_1.html

Might be an interesting model to consider or perhaps even the platform
for an open wine database?

-James

ideadude

Mar 10, 2007, 1:28:23 PM3/10/07
to Wine 2.0
Yeah, I saw that articles on that site but haven't looked at it myself
yet. I need to look into it more, but my initial bias is that it would
be better to have the openwinedatabase project as a seperate entity
run by folks who are specifically interested in wine. I think it would
easier to resolve problems with a custom system where we have more
input.

That said, it might be so darn easy to start an open wine database
with freebase or google base, that someone will just do it and start
using it. Like the microformats: we could spend a ton of time trying
to develop the perfect format, but then someone just comes in and
starts using one (Scrugy) and it works well enough. The people who use
these data and formats are going to be the ones who dictate how they
work. Anyway, end rant.

Jason