Another Chat This Month?

wine...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2007, 2:33:19 PM1/8/07
to Wine 2.0
Happy New Year, everyone! Hope you are well and now settling back into
the routine after the holidays.

I'd like to propose another Wine 2.0 chat sometime this month. Joshua
has set up a room in Campfire which should be somewhat better than
Lingr (although I did hear from Lingr's VP of Technology who said their
service should be able to take the amount of people we have). I'd also
suggest we kind of "pass the baton" in the chat so we don't have
several threads going at once. Perhaps some intros, then someone posts
a topic and everyone, in turn, responds or something like that. I also
know some would like to do this on a conference call, but this would
probably be too difficult given the amount of people on the line and
geography involved. That said, I'd be happy to host a Skypecast and
record it if anyone is interested in addition to the text chat in
Campfire. What do you think?

Please post dates and times and I'll pick something that works best for
all. I'd like to have folks in Europe involved so perhaps the weekday
evening is not the best time. What about some Saturday?

Cheers,
--
Tim Elliott

Joshua Zader

Jan 8, 2007, 3:24:43 PM1/8/07
to win...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

I cannot participate at all this Saturday (Jan 13th), but otherwise
my schedule is wide open. If for some reason this Saturday looks
like the date that would work best for the overall group, send me a
note and I'll make sure you have what you need for the Campfire access.

I think your idea about "passing the baton" is excellent. Perhaps
people could submit and take ownership of items on the agenda, so
that the "baton passing" is planned ahead of time.

Joshua

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JOSHUA ZADER, CEO
WineQ - Queue Up Your Wines Like Movies
www.WineQ.com jos...@wineq.com
505-994-4440 office
877-746-9895 toll free
505-514-0721 fax

Tim Elliott

Jan 8, 2007, 3:33:19 PM1/8/07
to win...@googlegroups.com
On 1/8/07, Joshua Zader <jos...@wineq.com> wrote:
I cannot participate at all this Saturday (Jan 13th), but otherwise
my schedule is wide open.  If for some reason this Saturday looks
like the date that would work best for the overall group, send me a
note and I'll make sure you have what you need for the Campfire access.

I think your idea about "passing the baton" is excellent.  Perhaps
people could submit and take ownership of items on the agenda, so
that the "baton passing" is planned ahead of time.

Yea, this Saturday is bad for me, too; I wasn't thinking about that but from the 20th on... we can still do the chat on a weekday but it would need to be earlier for European participation which might present issues with folks without chat access at work, etc.

Your idea of having everyone post their topics beforehand is a good one; I'll start up another thread here once we set the date and post mine.

Thanks,
--
Tim Elliott
Winecast

Jeff Stai

Jan 8, 2007, 4:31:41 PM1/8/07
to win...@googlegroups.com
Anything before Jan 22 is best for me, after that I disappear for a couple weeks for UWGS and a
vacation...

For text chat I suggest one or topics at most because of the low bandwidth. The baton or round table
method works well.

A large conference call works well if everyone behaves. When a speaker finishes you drop in your
name and the moderator acknowledges you, and you get into the queue and speak in turn. And you can
cover more topics with the higher bandwidth (notice I said nothing about signal to noise :)

- j

wine...@gmail.com wrote:

> Please post dates and times and I'll pick something that works best for
> all. I'd like to have folks in Europe involved so perhaps the weekday
> evening is not the best time. What about some Saturday?

--
Jeff Stai j...@twistedoak.com
Twisted Oak Winery http://www.twistedoak.com/

Rob Barnett

Jan 9, 2007, 12:14:12 AM1/9/07
to win...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Weekdays are better for me, but depending on the timing, Sat-1/20 may work for me.  Has a time been passed around yet?

-Rob (Sips)

Tim Elliott <wine...@gmail.com> wrote:

http://mail.yahoo.com

Gregoire Japiot

Jan 9, 2007, 9:47:56 AM1/9/07
to Wine 2.0
Hello and *Bonne Année* everyone!
You can count me as one of the folks in Europe who'd like to be
involved.
I'm peronally specially interested in the use of web2.0 mapping
services for wine-tourism (we say oenotourism in France) and the use of
microformats (aka wineformats). These two topics are important parts of
a project I work on, but I'm also very interested in the use of
SecondLife for wine teaching and another project call 'wine &
solidarity' (see: http://tinyurl.com/yjckfh ).
Saturday as weekday are both OK for me.
I prefer a chat VS a large conference call, but I think a way could be
to have the chat and then let smallest group of people arrange
conferences call later about specific wine2.0 projects and interests.
They could after report about the calls (with a link to the recording)
in this discussion group, in a wiki or during the next chat.
Congrats' for all what you have done yet and I'm glad to join your
group.

--
Grégoire Japiot
http://claimid.com/gregoire

ideadude

Jan 11, 2007, 1:42:01 PM1/11/07
to Wine 2.0
Hi, Tim.

I'm busy this Sunday night. Other than that, any night is likely to be
good for me. Although, if the meeting conflicts with a NFL playoff game
you're likely to get just half of my attention ;)

I think it would be fun to have a campfire chat and a Skype discussion
at the same time. I can just imagine the Skype-call guys (and gals)
making fun of the chat in progress. They could talk amongst themselves
and update the chatters regularly. I can see how this might get
confusing though. So the idea of Skype-calls around specific topics
that maybe just 3-5 people would be interested in would work.

As for topics:
- How can we appeal to and reach out to the casual web user? I think we
spend a lot of time thinking about how to get people who are already
into wine to come to our sites. What can we do to get non-wine drinkers
or casual wine drinkers to our sites and convert them into vinophiles?

- WineLog Mobile. What do you need? What do you want? What should we
avoid?

- Wine 2.0 Consolidation. Who should WineLog merge with? Who should
WineLog sell out to? How much?

(Those last two are about WineLog, but I'm just using my own site as
example. I think the discussions are relevant to a lot of us.)

Cheers.

ideadude

Jan 11, 2007, 1:46:51 PM1/11/07
to Wine 2.0
Another topic just popped into mind. Actually, it's a question I've
been meaning to ask some intelligent folks.

How can WineLog hold conversations with our users about our site?
- We have a blog people can comment on. That's a start.
- Should we start a forum, a phpBB or Wordpress BB implementation? Is
that too much hassle for users?
- The thing I think we need is a way for users to initiate discussions
on site bugs, requested features, and other help-like topics. People
can email us, but it would be great to have this public so users can
answer each other's questions and we can address the entire community
from one place.

This is a bit of a technical question: what system can we use? how can
we tweak an existing system? should we build something custom?
And a bit of a more general question around how to engage a user base.

Thanks.

wine...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2007, 9:04:00 PM1/23/07
to Wine 2.0
Sorry for the delay but I had some personal stuff going on...

Anyway, what about a chat on February 3rd at 3pm EDT/8pm GMT?

I also like the idea of everyone posting their topic here beforehand,
so we will have a chance to think about it before the chat. Then, we
will go around the chatroom clockwise after I start with my topic,
Port-style ;-)

Who's in?
--
Tim Elliott
Winecast

Rob Barnett

Jan 23, 2007, 9:55:37 PM1/23/07
to win...@googlegroups.com
Hello all, I'd like to participate, but we've been invited to a bordeaux pairing dinner that evening.  Take good notes!...  -Rob.

wine...@gmail.com wrote:

TV dinner still cooling?

Joshua Zader

Jan 23, 2007, 9:59:21 PM1/23/07
to win...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

I'm in. Will the chat be held at the Wine 2.0 room (provided by
WineQ) at Campfire? If so, I can e-mail out the the access
instructions again beforehand.

Joshua

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JOSHUA ZADER, CEO
WineQ - Queue Up Your Wines Like Movies
www.WineQ.com jos...@wineq.com
505-994-4440 office
877-746-9895 toll free
505-514-0721 fax

Tim Elliott

Jan 23, 2007, 10:16:52 PM1/23/07
to win...@googlegroups.com
On 1/23/07, Joshua Zader <jos...@wineq.com> wrote:
I'm in.  Will the chat be held at the Wine 2.0 room (provided by
WineQ) at Campfire?  If so, I can e-mail out the the access
instructions again beforehand.

Yes, your Campfire room is what I had in mind for this chat. Please post the coordinates and thanks for hosting us!

Cheers,
--
Tim Elliott
Winecast

Lenn Thompson

Jan 24, 2007, 7:56:41 AM1/24/07
to win...@googlegroups.com
I'm out for this one (my wife is due two days before) but I'll probably be back in as of March...

Unless you fathers out there tell me that I'm crazy for thinking that will be allowed to happen ;)
Lenn Thompson
Wine and Food Writer

Joshua Zader

Jan 24, 2007, 1:10:08 PM1/24/07
to win...@googlegroups.com
Everyone,

Here is a direct link to the chat room we'll be using for our
February 3rd meeting at 3pm Eastern Time (8pm GMT).

https://wineq.campfirenow.com/b12e3

See you there,

Philip James

Jan 24, 2007, 2:08:10 PM1/24/07