Collaborative Filtering Programs

Ward

Apr 13, 2007, 11:11:22 AM4/13/07
to Wine 2.0
Another topic in the last chat was the broad subject of collaborative
filtering (the technique that Amazon and Netflicks, for example, use
for making recommendations). I think that the core concept has
applicability to making wine recommendations, but the current
practices are not refined enough.

As I see it, the major shortcoming we have is that our rating and
scoring systems do not provide enough discrimination to provide the
groupings necessary to effectively use the collaborative filtering
algorithms. My opinion, of course; I'm interested in discussing this
topic and perhaps arriving at some methods for achieving that
discrimination necessary (see the thread I started on "Calibrating
Palates, for example)>

Are any of the participants in this Wine 2.0 group using collaborative
filtering? If so, please describe your approach and how it is
working.

Ward Bell
WineOnline Minnesota
(A Pre-Alpha Development)

Philip James

Apr 13, 2007, 12:41:53 PM4/13/07
to Wine 2.0
Ward

Snooth (www.snooth.com) is about to launch and thats exactly what
we're doing. Take a look at the blog.

I dont want to spill any details yet, but can talk to you once we open
to the public.

Best
Philip

Ward

Apr 13, 2007, 8:55:45 PM4/13/07
to Wine 2.0
Thanks, Philip, for your response and pointer to your blog. It does
sound like the program you are developing has some interesting ways of
approaching the issues of building a powerful recommendation engine.
I look forward to point in time when you move out of your alpha/beta
mode and into full release.

I spent some time going through all the posts you've made on your
blog: There are some interesting things that you have revealed even
while being circumspect. I'm impressed that you have raises some
venture capital.

Is there anything else you can say, perhaps in this somewhat limited
venue (there are only a couple handsful of subscribers at this time)?

And, are there others who might have information they are willing to
share in this space?

Ward Bell
WineOnline Minnesota
(Pre-Alpha Stage Development)

> > (A Pre-Alpha Development)- Hide quoted text -

Philip James

Apr 14, 2007, 7:52:35 AM4/14/07
to Wine 2.0
Ward

We'll be open to the public in less than a month, but i will make sure
you get an early invite.

Best i can do at the moment!
Philip