September Meetups

Double Eight

Aug 22, 2012, 11:51:53 PM8/22/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
Okay everypony,

First off, I'd like to say that the Ravinia with Discord Meetup was a success and probably the best weekend or Saturday anypony has had in a long time. I know it was for me, mostly because my Saturday aren't that cool.

Second off, September is coming up and that is the month we will have two different conventions happening (one here in Illinois and one in Ohio), so undoubtedly some members in our group will be making roadtrips of sorts to these things (I am mostly referring to the Canterlot Gardens in Ohio) . So I think before we dive into Convention month and get super-saturated with our own fandom, I think we should try to hold a meetup before these events just so we can get to know each other better. Ravinia was a great chance to meet and greet, but we were all there mostly to meet with Mr. de Lancie himself and listen to some fine opera music, so most of us didn't really get a chance to really socialize. Also, the Midwest Brony Division was there and thus our groups were kind of mixed together, so we couldn't really gauge who came for what group. Not that it was a bad thing or anything.

Okay, so here's my suggestion: I think we should hold a Beach Picnic Potluck at the Ohio Street Beach because 1) The beach is huge and should have no problem holding an abundance of Bronies, 2) Summer is coming to an end, September is the Back to School month, and we should also hold this meetup as a sort of Summer Wrap Up of sorts because beach season ends September 3rd, and 3) who doesn't love the beach?

Now here comes the hard part. Because Beach season ends September 3rd, I was thinking about holding the meetup on the 2nd, which is a Sunday. I prefer Sunday because that is the day that I feel has less action going on than Saturday, no only for outings, but also for work. But if push comes to shove, I think we can make Saturday work as well if Sunday isn't doable.

So what does everypony say?

Star Buck

Aug 23, 2012, 12:07:17 AM8/23/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
Personally I'd prefer Saturday, but depending on the time (if it's later in the day) I might be able to do Sunday.

RaccoonRat

Aug 23, 2012, 12:41:29 AM8/23/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
I currently can't request either day off.  So I'll have to see if it would be easier for me to go Sat or Sun when my schedule comes out.

Tyroq

Aug 23, 2012, 4:09:47 AM8/23/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
I love the idea of more meetups. But being as far away as I am it's just not economical to drive out to Chicago more than once or twice a quarter.

Actually, as a followup idea, I think we ought to plan a Halloween party. I could definitely start planning for that, a couple months from now, get it into my schedule and budget and all that. We could have so much fun with a Nightmare Night party. :D

Blaine

Aug 23, 2012, 8:58:12 AM8/23/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
I'd be down for either Saturday or Sunday, whatever works best for everyone.

Also, I'm totally for the idea of a Nightmare Night party. We could watch some pony (and maybe an actual horror flick or two!) whilst gorging ourselves on delicious candy treats.

Double Eight

Aug 23, 2012, 9:08:07 PM8/23/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
Funny you should mention that, Ty, but I already have a Nightmare Night meetup in the works.

Double Eight

Aug 23, 2012, 9:10:22 PM8/23/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
As for the Beach meetup, I think we'll shoot for 12 on Sunday. Does that sound good?

As for the Nightmare Night meetup, that is something definitely in the works. Especially, if you like trick or treating.

RaccoonRat

Aug 24, 2012, 2:34:08 AM8/24/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
I have to work a double on Sunday :(  But I can probably get off on Saturday seeing as I just have to get my morning shift covered.

Cosplaygrimlyn

Aug 24, 2012, 9:01:29 PM8/24/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
I want a nightmare night so bad!!! Also we had talked about going apple bucking on the mbd page. That would be amazing.

Double Eight

Aug 25, 2012, 1:25:30 AM8/25/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
Okay, so MDB is holding a dinner the Saturday of that weekend and rather than hold two meetups on the same day and have everyone scramble to get to both of them, I am just going to make it Sunday for the beach picnic. Is that okay with everypony?

Also, here's the link to the Midwest Brony Division's event on FB: https://www.facebook.com/events/176729975794777/

RaccoonRat

Aug 25, 2012, 3:44:24 AM8/25/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
I can definitely make it to the dinner at 6 on Saturday since I only work till 3.  But I can't make it Sunday
since I have a double.

Caitlin

Aug 25, 2012, 11:32:17 AM8/25/12
to windycit...@googlegroups.com
I work saturday. So Sunday im available.

Sent from my iPod

Double Eight

Aug 26, 2012, 4:08:43 AM8/26/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
Alright, everypony.

I've gone and finalized the plans for the picnic and have even created a Facebook event for it as well: http://www.facebook.com/events/307605862670317/

So here's the plan: The meetup will be at the Oak Street Beach 1 pm. We will meet near the pedestrian tunnel that connects to Division St on the beach side and I will even make a sign to make sure everypony knows we're the right group. Once we have enough ponies, we will then set up camp fairly near the tunnel so that any late comers won't have any trouble finding us.

Since this is a Picnic Potluck, bring what ever you like as long as it doesn't require cooking or grilling of any sort (if I manage to get a hold of a grill, then I will give you all the green light to bring food that can use a bit of the old charcoal). Desserts are perfectly fine, so are snacks. Drinks are of course a must and is recommended that they be non-alcoholic (I don't know how old most of you are, so I am not going to risk bringing brewskies). Plastic/disposable silverware is also important, so bring that as well (preferably cups and plates).

We can figure out who's bringing what by just posting what you plan to bring and I'll start a spreadsheet to get all the info down.

The best way to get there is by taking the CTA Red line and getting off at Clark/Division and heading east on Division St toward the lake (you'll see the tunnel once you reach the end). As for the driving type ponies, that will be sort of a challenge as I don't know any parking garages nearby and don't recommend parking on the street as the parking meters are the worst in this city.
To make it all easier, here's the location on Google Maps: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=oak+street+beach&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&authuser=0
From there, everypony can find what ever route is easiest for you to get here.

Also, since it is a beach and a picnic, bring blankets or beach towels or chairs to make yourself comfortable. Also, because it is a beach bring an extra towel and a swimsuit if you're up for some frolicking in the lake. I can't promise you seaponies, but you may never know.

Generally, I expect this to end around 4 or 5 or until everyone gets tired and wants to go home. And because this is a meetup about ponies, feel free to bring those too. If you have cards or just random merch or toys, bring them to show off and maybe even engage in trades. You can also bring whatever you like to pass the time if swimming isn't your cup of tea, like drawing materials or even board games.

So, are you all ready to hit the beach?

RaccoonRat

Aug 27, 2012, 1:30:00 AM8/27/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
Got work all day Sunday.  I can do that Dinner thing on Saturday night though.

Blaine

Aug 28, 2012, 1:47:25 PM8/28/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
Cool stuff. I'm for sure bringing some soda as well as paper plates and plastic cups. Mayhaps some ice as well, for the soda.

Carlos Enriquez

Aug 28, 2012, 6:49:27 PM8/28/12
to windycit...@googlegroups.com
I will also be bringing refreshments and a I have a cooler!

Cool stuff. I'm for sure bringing some soda as well as paper plates and plastic cups. Mayhaps some ice as well, for the soda.

Double Eight

Aug 29, 2012, 12:11:31 AM8/29/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com, windycit...@googlegroups.com, Carlos Enriquez

Double Eight

Sep 2, 2012, 8:57:23 AM9/2/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com, windycit...@googlegroups.com, Carlos Enriquez
Here's my phone number, just in case anyone needs it for today: 530-681-1223.

RaccoonRat

Sep 5, 2012, 3:44:24 AM9/5/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
I propose a mall meetup sometime next week at Orland Square mall in Orland Park.  Their Hot Topic has
quite a bit of Pony merch.  Plus it would give us a chance to talk about Midwestria the coming weekend.
And they have a big food court.  Anypony down?  What days are you all free?

mitchva...@yahoo.com

Sep 6, 2012, 11:19:32 PM9/6/12
to WindyCit...@googlegroups.com
We should try to do something downtown again, not entirely sure what though, any ideas?

Carlos Enriquez

Sep 7, 2012, 12:41:35 AM9/7/12
to windycit...@googlegroups.com
There is a Target downtown and a cupcake place on the same street as well as a nice local restaurants. I say, we meet, eat, and greet each other somewhere, then invade Target for their ponies.