Recent History on Melting Siding and non FLAT glass panes

Carl Scheider

Oct 23, 2017, 6:09:41 PM10/23/17
to Melting Melted Siding
Greetings. Not a lot of activity here, but thought I would raise the level up a bit. When I search for melted siding, this site or newsgroup is not very high on the list!
For the detailed information I have collected, see this website:
https://www.sites.google.com/site/windowsmeltingsiding/home/fairway-meadows-siding-history

I received an inquiry from a person in the state of Delaware, with the problem that her neighbor's windows are melting her siding. She has talked with the neighbor, with the siding manufacturer, and with the builder. It seems a total mystery to all of them, and she is at a loss as to what to do. This is a summary of my recommendations. If you have some thoughts - anyone - any time into the future - please join in.

Thanks. We really are all in this together - we may not get very far alone, but a larger group might finally get the attention of the glass and window manufacturers and builders.

Assuming you have some vinyl siding on your house that is melting, what can you do?  My suggestions:

1. Join the Class Action Lawsuit.
There is one that is proceeding against the vinyl makers. They are NOT the problem IMHO, but it feels better than doing nothing. You can find more information about that here.
I tried to persuade those folks that the problem is really from the glass in the windows, but they are not any more informed than the windows manufacturers.

2. Find a good lawyer.
Try to find someone that can file a small claims action on your behalf, or undertake that yourself. Make it for a precise dollar fee - not a contingency or anything. Get a couple of bids - go with the lowest. This is NOT rocket science.

3. File a Small Claims lawsuit.
All states have a small claims court, and the process is pretty simple. You can do this yourself - it just takes a bit of work, but you will get their attention. The usual limit is $10,000, but that varies by state. Collect all the information you can, and make copies of it to bring to the court hearing. The "complaint" is generally pretty brief - but you can bring supplemental stuff.
The primary claim is the implied warranty of fitness for purpose intended.
To see more detail on how to do this, see this related website:

4. Call the local TV and newspaper
We found we got a lot more attention when the news people picked this up. If you have a beautiful case of warped siding, send them the picture - and a pointer to the website above for the background.

And good luck with that. I'm pulling for you.

Carl Scheider
Life is NOT a competition, and  . . .
Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!
Red Green