Who's using/developing windmill; alternatives?

Craig de Stigter

Jul 11, 2012, 6:14:19 PM7/11/12
to windmi...@googlegroups.com
Hi list

We're looking at using Windmill for some testing stuff, but noted there's no commits on the git repo in the last >1year. However I can't find many other solutions out there that do what Windmill does. The best alternative I've seen so far is Webdriver Plus.

1. Is anyone still developing Windmill? Is there a well-hidden fork somewhere with active commits?
2. Are many people still using Windmill?
3. If not, what alternatives have people found?

For completeness, here's a list of the things we're looking for, that Windmill appears to do well:

1. write tests in either JS or python. Not ruby/xml/java/crap.
2. Control or simulate multiple real browsers, not some magic fake browser someone made up.
3. Interactive step-through so we can figure out why tests are failing.

Thanks heaps for your help. I have been googling for alternatives but so far come up mostly empty, with only webdriver plus satisfying those 3 requirements.

Adam Christian

Jul 11, 2012, 6:54:31 PM7/11/12
to windmi...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I haven't actually been working on Windmill for quite some time, as I am currently working at Sauce Labs which is hosted webdriver.

I wrote a node.js client for webdriver which you can check out here: http://admc.io/wd/

There are a handful of python clients you can find on google for webdriver.

The tight feedback loop for debugging doesn't really exist for webdriver the way it did for windmill, but we have been working on graphical editor that works in firefox here: https://github.com/sebuilder/se-builder/

Regardless, webdriver is currently being actively developed by a team at Google and has a much bigger community.

I hope that helps.

Adam