Integration bugs with Facebook Connect

Chris Bergstresser

Sep 24, 2010, 6:51:33 PM9/24/10
to Windmill Developers
We're trying to use Windmill to define a series of tests which use
Facebook Connect. However, when running windmill in Firefox our code
works up until the "FB.login()" call, which pops up a window in
Javascript. At that point, a couple odd things happen:

1) The Windmill IDE stops responding to actions within the popup
window. It won't record mouse actions or keypresses in the new
window, although it continues to respond to actions in the main
window.
2) Trying to log into Facebook gives a ...

Cookies Required
Cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please adjust this in
your security preferences before continuing.

... error.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing these issues, or any
suggestions on how to fix them?

-- Chris

Chris Bergstresser

Oct 11, 2010, 11:58:01 AM10/11/10
to Windmill Developers
Hi all --

I sent the following two emails to this mailing list a couple weeks
ago, and haven't heard anything on either of them. The first one, in
particular, is kind of a show-stopper for us; does anyone have any
suggestions? If we can't get around these issues we may need to look
for other testing frameworks.

-- Chris

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Chris Bergstresser <ch...@subtlety.com> wrote:
> I've got a series of Windmill tests which do things like create a
> user, log in, and log out from the website.  What I don't really
> understand is how to ensure the website is in the correct state for
> any given test before it runs.
>
> For example, if I run "test_create_user()", after it runs the website
> is either logged in (if it succeeded) or logged out (if it failed).
> My "test_logout_user()" test will then fail if the user is already
> logged out.  I need to define a "setup" and "teardown" method for
> every test function defined in my file, but there only seems to be a
> way to define a "setup" and "teardown" method for the module, not for
> individual files, or individual functions.  Am I missing something?
> What's the standard way of doing this?
>
> Second, I can't see a way to conditionally test for the existence of a
> node or a link.  I'd like to do something like ...
>
>    if client.exists(link = u'Logout):
>        client.click(link = u'Logout')
>
> ... but all I can see is to try it and catch the exception, which
> causes the error to appear on the console and the line to appear red
> in the test runner.  Is there a way to do this?
>
> Finally, when running on Firefox in Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), every test
> generates a "*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** WARNING: unhandled variable 18
> (<unknown variable>) in NPN_GetValue()" error on the console.  Is
> there any way to fix this?

Adam Christian

Oct 11, 2010, 12:25:38 PM10/11/10
to windmi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I'm not sure how I missed these emails (must be because I was out of the country). But I will take a look at this stuff today and get back to you.

Adam

Adam Christian

Oct 11, 2010, 4:59:10 PM10/11/10
to windmi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris, I just recorded and ran a bunch of tests against facebook.com but I don't a FB connect example to test against. The popup support has always been spotty for recording so you will need to manually need to use the selectWindowByTitle action to change the focus.

We had a lot of cookie issues in the 1.3 release, so I would also encourage you to give your testing a try with the master in github: http://www.github.com/windmill/windmill

Adam