Windmill and mozrunner 2.x

Andrea Corbellini

Mar 2, 2011, 11:44:09 AM3/2/11
to Windmill Developers
Hi all,

I'm trying to package Windmill for the GNU/Linux distributions Debian
and Ubuntu. Unfortunately I have seen that Windmill is using the
version 1.3 of mozrunner, instead of the latest one (2.5.3). From my
prospective, this is a problem because, if possible, only the latest
version of a software should be packaged.

Reading the comments in the code, I see that mozrunner 1.3 is used
because "2.x doesn't have global_settings anymore". So I would like to
ask you:

* Do you have any plans to support the version 2.x of mozrunner?
* If global_settings is really needed, are there any plans to re-add
it to mozrunner?

I'm a Python developer and I'd happy to spend some of my time on the
project, if you need a hand.

Thanks,
Andrea

Adam Christian

Mar 2, 2011, 1:09:16 PM3/2/11
to windmi...@googlegroups.com, Mikeal Rogers
Hi Andrea,

The main reason this hasn't happened is because I'm not much of a Python developer, and Mikeal (who wrote all that python code) is super busy doing other stuff. I would really like to get Windmill using the latest mozrunner but it's a little bit out of my scope/skills.

I am CC'ing Mikeal to see if he can give you some input on how to go about doing this migration. Thanks for your time and interest!

--
Adam Christian

Andrea Corbellini

Mar 22, 2011, 2:56:40 PM3/22/11
to windmi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It is passed some time, and I haven't received any response from Mikeal.
However that's not a problem: if he is busy with other things, I can
perfectly understand his situation.

Anyhow, I'll try to work on the migration. I just have to say that I
can't start right now because I have too many things to look at in this
period.

Thanks,
Andrea

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 10:09 -0800, Adam Christian wrote:
> Hi Andrea,
>
> The main reason this hasn't happened is because I'm not much of a
> Python developer, and Mikeal (who wrote all that python code) is super
> busy doing other stuff. I would really like to get Windmill using the
> latest mozrunner but it's a little bit out of my scope/skills.
>
> I am CC'ing Mikeal to see if he can give you some input on how to go
> about doing this migration. Thanks for your time and interest!
--

Ubuntu member | http://www.ubuntu.com/
BeeSeek member | http://www.beeseek.org/

signature.asc

Adam Christian

Mar 22, 2011, 3:17:34 PM3/22/11
to windmi...@googlegroups.com
I totally understand,

chances are that he is super busy -- however the folks down at mozilla are working with mozrunner a lot and I bet if you emailed ctal...@mozilla.com and asked if he had any insight or knew of anyone that might be able to give you some useful information that might lead you in the right direction.

Keep me posted for whenever you get a chance to start hacking on that code.

Adam