2018-12-19 - Environment reset

Jirka Chadima

Dec 14, 2018, 1:18:03 AM12/14/18
to Winding Tree
Hello everyone,

this is an announcement of reset of both of our environments. We are making further improvements to our data structure which are unfortunately not backwards compatible and everybody has to update their integrations.

So what will happen on Wednesday December 19?
  - We will change the addresses of WTIndex to which playground and demo APIs are pointing to.
  - The existing data will become inaccessible through our running APIs (playground-api.windingtree.com etc.).
  - Old data will still be accessible through a locally run wt-read-api checked out to an older version (0.8.1). No data will be deleted. We cannot do that.
  - Old addresses of WTIndex will be documented on our https://github.com/windingtree/wiki
  - We will not provide a data migration tool.
  - The process is roughly laid out in https://github.com/windingtree/wiki/pull/75
  - If you depend somewhere on an existing data (we will reupload at least the contents of wt-fixtures), its address will be different.

What do you need to do?
  - If you don't care about your data, nothing.
  - If you are running your own WTIndex, nothing. It won't be affected.
  - If you want to continue experimenting with Winding Tree, please re-upload your data after the reset and take into account the following changes:
    - https://github.com/windingtree/wiki/pull/79 - We are removing any data stored in object keys as that is considered as a bad practice. This affects lists of room types, rate plans and also affects availability data structure.
  - If you need help, reach out to us via any of our many communication channels.

Is this something that will happen again?
  - Yes. We will inevitably introduce more breaking changes in the future.
  - demo and playground environments should be considered as very volatile. Do not rely on them in any of your production-like setup.
  - We are figuring out how to keep everything more stable regarding the data structure (version pinning, data expiration, multiple version support....). But nothing is yet set in stone.

I sincerely hope that you understand why we have to do this and that we won't break any of your stuff. If you have any comments on this topic or need any help, just join the conversation in this topic. I will announce new WTIndex addresses as soon as they are ready in this topic as well.

I will keep you posted with any updates in this thread.

Thank you for understanding,
Jirka Chadima

Jirka Chadima

Dec 17, 2018, 6:55:23 AM12/17/18
to Winding Tree
The new WTIndex addresses on Ropsten will be:

playground: 0xfb562057d613175c850df65e435bb0824b65d319
demo: 0xa433590275a3a1ebca247a230076d2d281f46a49

If you want to re-register your hotels, you can do it already as these indexes are deployed and live. All of the supporting infrastructure will follow on Wedneseday.

Jirka Chadima

Dec 19, 2018, 7:25:10 AM12/19/18
to Winding Tree
All of our services are now updated in both demo and playground environments.