Playground+Demo: Possible data loss after Swarm upgrade

Jirka Chadima

Oct 9, 2018, 7:43:21 AM10/9/18
to Winding Tree
Hello everybody, I have some not-so-great news.

If anyone had some data in WT playground or demo deployed to Swarm, they might be lost.

We did an upgrade of our Swarm node to a latest version and in conjuction with current downtime of swarm-gateways.net it did not really go well.. But hey, it's an alpha version :-)

There is a slight chance that the data will recover after swarm-gateways.net is back up, but I doubt it. The recommended cause of action is to reupload your data again. If your data is precious, I recommend using HTTPS over Swarm as your storage technology of choice. We currently have no way of recovering the data by ourselves (except data from wt-fixtures). As we are working on a Search API, we will eventually have a mirror of all the data, but right now, we don't.

I'm sorry about this hiccup, but again, Swarm is still considered to be an alpha version, so no reliability is guaranteed.

If you have any ideas how to prevent this from happening again (for example after another Swarm upgrade), feel free to suggest those in this thread.

To end on a more positive note: Former MRUs are merged to upstream, so we will at some point use them in WT platform.

Jirka Chadima