Building and compiling WebKit for WinCE

Juliano Rodrigues da Silva

Jan 15, 2015, 5:42:37 AM1/15/15
to wince...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

My name is Juliano, and i am from Brazil, so forgive me about my english. I trying to build a webkit with HTML5 and CSS3 support for WinCE embedded devices.

I am a Java developer, so i don't have knowledge about the C++ and Microsoft (Visual Studio).

I've downloaded the necessary tools followed from here https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WinCE, what i've found:

Python 3.4.2
Gperf 3.01
Perl 5.20.1
Win Bison 2.7
CMake 3.1.0

All in C:/ directory

I'm trying to build WebKit for WinCE but i'm having some problems:

1- There a thousands of realeases until (15/01/2015) and every hour has a new build in http://svn.webkit.org/repository/webkit/trunk and https://github.com/WebKit/webkit, so i have no idea
what realease i must checkout for cmake build for WinCE. There is no buildslave for WinCE anymore in https://build.webkit.org/builders/, what makes hard to find what release is buildable for WinCE. The question is, anybody knows a specific release that build for WinCE ?

2- When I build with a random webkit what i have checkout from svn or git, CMake can't find RUBY_LIBRARY "Could NOT find Ruby (missing:  RUBY_LIBRARY) (found suitable version "1.9.1",
inimum required is "1.8.7")", i don't know why this happens i searched through the forum but nobody appears to have this problem. In a try to make work, i have downloaded Ruby193 and i put in C:/ directory and make the variable enviroment PATH point to C:/Ruby193/bin but event that doesn't make CMake find the RUBY_LIBRARY

Could you guys help me with this? Grats,.

One more last question, If anybody have the WebKit builded and compiled already for WinCE, please let me download, because i just need a browser what gives support or HTML5 and CSS3.

Mark Salisbury

Jan 15, 2015, 11:18:49 PM1/15/15
to wince...@googlegroups.com

The Ruby library issue is a warning, not anything that is going to actually interfere with building.

Building webkit for wince is not a simple task.  There are a number of choices for how to put together a platform (graphics, network, unicode, etc).  Also, given any particular version of webkit there will be various issues to debug as wince (and the platform dependencies you choose) isn't a main line webkit port.

I would like to do more to make it easier to build webkit for wince; my first step was to try and improve the build system, essentially making the win-cairo platform build for wince.  Patches I submitted did not get reviews; Apple was not that interested in cmake/wince.  Patrick Gansterer did much more than I did but I don't believe he's had that much time to contribute lately.

Unless you have a really compelling need to build for wince, you are better off using binaries someone else has assembled.

I found a couple examples:

https://code.google.com/p/iseebrowser/downloads/list

http://www.zetakey.com/download.php

There are also a few companies that support a webkit browser on wince commercially.

Good luck!
Mark Salisbury