PhD position in algorithmic curation, adaptation, and personalization at Utrecht University (deadline 7 Feb 2021)

Christine Bauer

Jan 11, 2021, 7:44:16 AM1/11/21
to WiMIR
Dear WiMIR and allies,

I have an open position for a PhD student (full time, 5 years) to join the Human-Centered Computing group at Utrecht University.
Please apply, and feel free to share!

Kind regards,
Christine Bauer

**********
Quick link for direct access to the vacancy description: https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs/phd-position-in-algorithmic-curation-adaptation-and-personalization-10-fte
**********

***Job description***
The Human-Centered Computing group at Utrecht University currently offers a 5-year PhD position. The group is led by Professor Judith Masthoff and you will work under the daily supervision of Dr. Christine Bauer. The position includes research as well as teaching, where the teaching commitments account for 30% of employment time.

***Research***
Algorithmic curation, adaptation, and personalization are used in manifold applications fields, including recruitment, advertising, e-commerce, or entertainment. While such algorithmic approaches become deeply embedded in our digital ecosystem, their impact on multiple stakeholders is widely unexplored. Fairness is one of the core challenges in this field.

While fairness is a universal problem, there are domain-specific particularities that need to be taken into consideration. As the prospective candidate for this PhD position, you will focus on the music sector or a related field in entertainment.

You will investigate the role of algorithmic curation, adaptation, and personalization in promoting equal opportunities in the selected sector. As investigating biases and inequalities requires a wide set of methods, you will further develop your skills in various methods and apply those in your research endeavor. These methodological approaches may include machine learning approaches (e.g., for recommender systems), computational approaches for analysis of large datasets, and methods involving users (e.g., via questionnaires or lab studies).

***Teaching***
You will be involved in supporting the preparation of Bachelor's and Master's courses, offered by the Department of Information and Computing Sciences. Furthermore, you will teach such courses in class, and supervise student theses.

***Qualifications***
We are looking for a candidate that meets the following profile:

• a master’s degree in Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Information Science, Computational Social Sciences, or a related field;
• a strong interest in conducting interdisciplinary research;
• well-developed programming skills;
• interest in interacting with humans in research (e.g., questionnaires, experiments, or interviews);
• knowledge in machine learning and data science;
• a strong interest in algorithmic curation, adaptation, and personalization;
• an interest in the music sector or a related field in entertainment;
• good communicative skills in English, both in writing and speech.

***Offer***
We offer an exciting opportunity to contribute to an ambitious and international education programme with highly motivated students and to conduct your own research project at a renowned research university. You will receive appropriate training, personal supervision, and guidance for both your research and teaching tasks, which will provide an excellent start to an academic career.

In addition, you will have
• the opportunity to work in a collaborative, social, and dedicated team of researchers;
• a full-time position for 5 years;
• a full-time gross salary starting at €2,395 in the first year and increasing to €3,061 in the fourth year (scale P Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (CAO));
• benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
• a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.

In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the CAO for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.

***Additional information***
If you have questions about this position, please contact Dr. Christine Bauer, Assistant Professor via c.b...@uu.nl or Professor Judith Masthoff, via j.f.m.m...@uu.nl.
Do you have a question about the application procedure? Then please send an email to science.r...@uu.nl.

***The closing date for applications is 7 February 2021.***

For more information about how to apply, see  the full vacancy description at

--
Dr. Christine Bauer | Assistant Professor | Department of Information and Computing Sciences | Utrecht University | Princetonplein 5, 3584 CC Utrecht | Buys Ballotgebouw, room 4.13 | +31 30 253 4158c.b...@uu.nl | www.uu.nl/staff/CBauer | https://christinebauer.eu | Present: Mon-Fri

Ashlae Blūm(e)

Jan 19, 2021, 1:03:30 PM1/19/21
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I am very interested in this position -- I am a livecoder, musician, and programmer with interest and experience in applied math & physics and audio programming. I have not yet completed my Master's degree. My current degree program is a MFA, and I have been attending for 1.5 years, with 28 credits completed. I have realized the work  I am interested in is more of a PhD level, and I have no mentorship in my technical areas of interest at my current program, so I am beginning a MS in Computer Science this spring semester. The MS will take a year to complete. Would I be eligible to apply since I may qualify as having adequate experience? (This is possible in the USA, not sure how it is at your university.) Also, will there potentially be another open position next year?

Thanks&
Best fishes;
__ash__