Day of Mindfulness May 30

Catherine Ibsen

May 18, 2015, 5:19:43 PM5/18/15
to wilmingt...@googlegroups.com

A Day of Mindfulness for the Investigation of

Right Effort “sammā-vāyāma”

“Each of you is perfect the way you are

 ... and you can use a little improvement.”
― Shunryu Suzuki

Zen Mind Beginners Mind, 1970

Saturday – May 30, 2015

596 Captain Beam Blvd., Hampstead, NC 28443

Home of Catherine Ibsen

Cost:  $25.00 to register and hold your space plus dana. Enrollment limited to 12 participants

Many Contemplative traditions offer an opportunity to deepen mindfulness practice by providing day long silent retreat opportunities.  The Hampstead Dharma Student’s Group is an eclectic mix of traditions with the core understanding that the teachings of the Buddha are to be practiced as a skill set, not just taken on faith.  We offer this day to provide a local opportunity for any individuals in the area who wish to deepen their practice in a community setting.   Although it is strongly encouraged that you make a commitment to sit for the entire day, half-day options are available.   Enrollment is limited to 12.  First come, first serve.

Right Effort, we are told, is the effort to cultivate and maintain wholesome mind states and prevent and abandon unwholesome ones.  Join us to explore how to know if a particular mind state is wholesome or unwholesome and just how hard do we need to try.  Wholesome and unwholesome mind states will be discussed in the context of mindfulness of vedana, feeling tone.  When is something that feels ‘pleasant’ or ‘unpleasant’ actually wholesome or unwholesome?  How do we know?

General Schedule:

  • 7:00 – 9:00 optional early sitting and mindful breakfast (Breakfast at about 8:00)

  • 9:00 – 9:30 Welcome and dharma talk on the practice of Right Effort - I

                    9:30 – 11:00 Sitting, walking & sitting meditation

                    11:00 – 11:45 Mindful Activity Practice

                    11:45 – 12:00 Sitting

  • 12:00 – 1:00 Lunch and Clean-up

  • 1:00 – 1:30 Dharma talk on the practice of Right Effort - II

    1:30 – 2:45 Sitting, walking & sitting meditation

                    2:45 – 3:30 Mindful Activity Practice

                    3:30 – 3:45 Sitting

    4:00 closing remarks and discussion

    What to Bring:

    Comfortable clothes for sitting, comfortable shoes and an umbrella for walking meditation in case of rain.

    Sitting cushion if you have one; meditation benches, zabutons and chairs will be available

    Mat and blanket for yoga and relaxation if you choose this activity

    Slippers or stockings as shoes will be left at the door

    A mug or cup for water or tea if you prefer your own

    When practicing Noble Silence we turn off cell phones, we avoid speaking unless necessary for a program issue.  We don’t take notes or read.  We simply practice being mindful in every moment.  We take refuge in the inner calm and peace of a quiet mind.  Students may speak with the teacher if necessary but even these contacts should be kept to a minimum. Students are encouraged to cultivate the feeling that they are working in isolation.

    For more additional information or to request a registration form, contact me at ibs...@bellsouth.net or at the address above.