The Magic of Awareness

Steve

Aug 6, 2013, 11:53:59 AM8/6/13
to wilmingt...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

On August 14, we begin discussion of our new book, The Magic of Awareness, by Anam Thubten.  For that night, please read the preface and Chapters 1-2.  The chapters are short, but they may be pithy!  We'll decide on a subsequent reading schedule on the 14th!

Hope to see you there,

Steve Lee

Steve Lee

Aug 12, 2013, 6:50:16 PM8/12/13
to wilmingt...@googlegroups.com

A Review of "The Magic of Awareness"
Book Group starts this book on Wednesday, August 14th, 7PM.  Chapters 1 and 2!   Hope to see you there!

Steve Lee

The Magic Of Awareness

The Magic Of Awareness
by Anam Thubten
9517361
Blaine's review
Jan 02, 13

bookshelves: buddhism, nondual-philosophy
Read in January, 2011

I have been a student of Anam Thubten for nearly 10 years. These are lucid essays on the nature of mind, awareness, and awakening from one of the foremost dzogchen teachers of our time. Anam Thubten teaches somewhere between prajnaparamita (= supreme wisdom) and direct awakening of dzogchen without ever really talking about either. He doesn't teach Buddhism directly but rather teaches the nature of the awakened mind that is always-already present in every living being. Beginners beware - this is not Buddhism 101 but is some of the most profound, esoteric, wisdom of Tibet ever shared by a teacher. Anam has an ecumenical, almost Krishnamurti-like style and draws from many of the world's wisdom traditions such as Rumi, Hafez, Eckhart, and others. He can also be extremely funny and make fun of just about everything, most especially Buddhist earnestness and conceptions of enlightenment. If you're not ready to completely let go of trying to figure it out, you're not ready for Anam Thubten.
2 likes ·