Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Jill Mann

no leída,
6 abr 2008, 1:38:50 p.m.6/4/2008
para Williams Syndrome grp
Hello

I am Jill Mann Mother to Luke Mann-aged 8.(Williams syndrome)

Since Luke has been able to walk- he has always walked up on his toes-
He finds it hard to walk flat footed - unless wearing certain takkies.

I recently took luke for a check up at  our local GP and he suggested an operation- I dont want to rush into this as I am sure that there must be alternatives for children with WS.

A physiotherapist did show me exercises to get Luke to walk flat footed.(stretching at the area (achilles tendon)?

Has anyone else had a similar experience and do you have any suggestions.

thank you from Jill Mann

Wanita van Zyl

no leída,
9 abr 2008, 1:50:43 p.m.9/4/2008
para willi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jill

My son Henry (7 WS) has also been walking on his toes since he started walking at around 17 months.  He has been taking gymnastics (trampoline and tumbling) since January 2007 and I have seen an improvement since they do quite a lot of stretching - he will probably never be on competition level but he enjoys it and it does wonders for his muscles.  He  walks on his toes when he is in a hurry and not concentrating  but we keep reminding him to walk flat footed / heel-toe and he does it - sometimes even without prompts.  There was a discussion on this subject on the American WS list a short while back and there was a few children that did have the surgery - all those parents said it was the best thing they could have done.

I know of a WS boy in Cape Town that had braces of some sort on his legs to strech the muscles / tendons?  and it also worked.  I suppose it depends on the severity of the problem.

Good luck and please keep us up to date on your decision.

Regards

Wanita

Checked by AVG.

Responder a todos