Slow starting to speak

Wanita van Zyl

Aug 27, 2007, 3:00:44 PM8/27/07
to willi...@googlegroups.com
Hallo all!

For you who know me - you are propably wondering why this mail is in English - reason : I emailed two other WS parents the group details and invited them to join and they are both English!

Anyway I think this speech thing is a perfect example of the difference in WS kids.  Henry started with his first words when he turned 1.  By the time we moved to the farm he was 2 1/2 and he spoke understandable Afrikaans and English.  His English was stronger than his Afrikaans even though our home language is Afrikaans because he had English friends at his daymothers house and English is an easier language to learn.

Today he is 6 1/2 and still speaks non stop although his English is not so strong anymore since everything here is done in Afrikaans.  He teaches his friends an English word or two every now and then.  He even had the confidence to speak on the local radio station during a telethon a few weeks back and yesterday at a church meeting where he was the only child with about  15 adults he had the courage to pray when the minister gave time for prayer.  I must admit the prayer was little off the topic but some of the people were teary eyed afterwards and could not believe that he actually had that much courage.

I was very proud of my little man!!!  Well - not so little any more - he is 130cm and I have to buy 8-9 year shirts already!

Thanx Louis for the list.  I think it will help a lot of WS parents and caregivers to vent their feelings, share their fears and just ask questions off parents in a similar situation.

Regards
Wanita

Wanita van Zyl
wani...@kingsleymail.co.za