Uninterested Healthworker

Tanja Holtzhausen

Apr 22, 2010, 4:31:23 AM4/22/10
to Williams-sa
Its incredible how healthworkers sometimes just don't LISTEN. Henri
had his extra measels vaccination at his school today, and the nurse
remarked that I should come to the clinic to get him a food
supplement. The more I tried to explain to her about the unique WS
growth chart that Henri is simply small for his age, but otherwise
HEALTHY and HAPPY and that Vit D and calcium are not recommended for
kids with WS, the more she tried to convince me that I should take him
to a dietician or paediatrician - insinuating that I don't look after
him! Needless to say I was furious at her insistence that I don't know
whats best for my child. When I asked her how much she knew about WS,
her anwer was what I had expected: NOTHING. But after our little run
in I think she'll be doing a little reading...

elana...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2010, 4:38:33 AM4/22/10
to willi...@googlegroups.com
So frustrating!!!!!
Jake had grommets on Tuesday and it was also a case of educate from the beginning! In the end the ent and anithetist called the cardiologist and all went off fine :)

Wanita van Zyl

Apr 22, 2010, 2:38:14 PM4/22/10
to willi...@googlegroups.com
Bit on the positive side - we may just be lucky but last week when Henry
went for his IQ and scolastic tests the educational pscycologist that did
the evaluation went through a whole lot of trouble finding out about
Williams Syndrome and all the plusses and minuses associated with WS. She
even phoned schools that had WS children and from her questions I could see
she did a lot of homework. She did say Henry was her first WS child that
she evaluated.

Last year with his heart op it was the same - everybody did their homework
and was open to observations and questions from my side. All in all a very
positive experience.

Just to let you know it is not always bad.

Sleep tight

Wanita
08:31:00

Jill Mann

Apr 23, 2010, 11:16:18 AM4/23/10
to willi...@googlegroups.com
Hi- I must say it really is a challege being different- I have discovered
that when you are different or are doing anything different you meet with a
whole lot of challenges
Appearances are also deceiving-and we so easily judge each other.

I have been dealing with this whole issue in my mind and how best to tackle
it- the only way now is to keep on keeping on and trusting and hoping and
remaining positive and believing in myself. I cant do this without my faith
in the fact that God is real and He is on my side I just have to keep
bringing something good and positive to my life and situation and He is
there to help even when I dont feel like He is or I am having a bad day.

Believe in yourself you are all special Mom's and Dads with really special
children- and God is on your side you will get there- even if the journey is
sometimes rocky,steep and tiring, there are always the good smooth runs to
look forward to.

Love and blessings from Jill