Bulk upload deployment failed

Sonja Heiliger

May 25, 2023, 4:28:29 AM5/25/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi,
I am trying to bulk upload deployments. I generated a csv file from the template and believe I have filled in all necessary information in the correct format but I get the report

"Upload report of 2023-05-25
Below is the breakdown of each of the categories with the name of the files that belong to them.
Deployments in an unknown state:
- Bulk deployment upload WI.csv
Successfully uploaded deployments:
None"

What could be the reason?

Best,
Sonja

Wildlife Insights

May 25, 2023, 6:24:42 PM5/25/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Sonja,

Thanks for sharing the csvs with us via email. I was able to get a more specific error after I opened the csv in Excel, saved it as a csv, and then uploaded it to Wildlife Insights. The error shows that entries in the camera_functioning column don't match what's expected. The entries are currently "Yes", but the only accepted values should be from this list: Camera Functioning,Unknown Failure,Vandalism, Theft, Memory Card Failure, Film Failure, Camera Hardware Failure, Wildlife Damage.

Let us know if you have any other issues!
Nicole
Wildlife Insights

Sonja Heiliger

May 25, 2023, 9:39:09 PM5/25/23
to Wildlife Insights
Dear Nicole,
thanks a lot for your support and troubleshooting.
I have changed the entries in the respective column but the upload still fails.
What else could be wrong?

Best,
Sonja

Bulk deployment upload WI.xlsx

Wildlife Insights

May 26, 2023, 11:46:24 PM5/26/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Sonja,

It looks like you attached a .xlsx file, which may be the issue. If you save the file as a .csv, the upload should work.

Best,
Nicole
Wildlife Insights team

Sonja Heiliger

May 27, 2023, 6:20:12 AM5/27/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Nicole,

no, i only attached the Excel to the mail so it is easier for you to check what is wrong. I tried to upload the .csv file but it doesn't work.

Best,
Sonja

Wildlife Insights

May 31, 2023, 3:28:39 PM5/31/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Sonja,

I'm not sure what the issue might be. After converting the excel file you sent to a .csv and ensuring all latitude and longitude values had at least 4 decimal places, I was able to upload and create deployments using the bulk deployment upload. Can you try to open the file in excel and save it as a .csv from there?

Nicole
Wildlife Insights team

Sonja Heiliger

Jun 25, 2023, 9:26:49 PM6/25/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Nicole,

sorry for the late reply I wanted to make sure that my suspicion was correct by trying the bulk deployment upload with my second survey. The problem was that my Excel language was German. That means we separate decimals with commas, not points. The .csv therefore made no sense to the system. I had to switch the language of my Mac to English to change that. I just wanted to let you know in case other European users face this problem in future. (On Windows there is an option to change the language of the Excel application without changing the entire system language.)
The bulk deployment Upload worked but there was still an issue with the Subprojects. Although I had assigned already existing subprojects it just duplicated the names. So I had to delete the doubles and now want to assign the deployments manually. However, I cannot edit the deployments, although the editing button is enabled and I can change values, the changes are not saved when clicking on the "Save " button. Perhaps you can help me with this. It is also unfortunate that after having clicked save there is no button to close the Editing window. However, editing had worked before for me, so I don't know if this is a system error.

Best,
Sonja

Wildlife Insights

Jun 26, 2023, 4:01:46 PM6/26/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Sonja,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience to help others out!
We'll take a look into the subproject issue when our team is available. Can you also let us know if the "Save" takes effect if you refresh the page? Sometimes the changes saved can take a few seconds to register.

Thanks,
Nicole
Wildlife Insights team

Sonja Heiliger

Jun 27, 2023, 9:59:20 PM6/27/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Nicole,
yes I tried refreshing the page, it didn't work. However, today I tried again and I could edit successfully. However, there seem to be temporary issues, for example this time it has deregistered all the cameras from the deployments.
Best,
Sonja