App keeps signing out/disconnecting

ysa...@g.clemson.edu

Nov 15, 2022, 9:20:22 AM11/15/22
to Wildlife Insights
Hi,

I have this issue recently where the app.wildlifeinsights.org/manage keeps disconnecting. It sometimes logs me out. Other times, runs into errors when loading pictures.

For example, I just received these two separate errors:
- Unable to load images. Network error: Response not successful: Received status code 401 [this happened after setting a burst time]
- Error: Server Error The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request. Please try again in 30 seconds. [upon trying to log in after cleaning the cache].

I use Chrome and Firefox. When one becomes too slow at loading images, I switch to the other one.

Any idea is this is due to an issue on my end (poor internet connectivity) or the app's end?

Thanks,
Yvan

Wildlife Insights

Nov 15, 2022, 9:55:30 AM11/15/22
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Yvan,

Thank you for letting us know. I believe this is a recent issue with the application. Our team is looking into this now and will hopefully have more updates soon.

Best,
Nicole

ysa...@g.clemson.edu

Nov 15, 2022, 11:10:37 AM11/15/22
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Nicole,

I looked into it a bit more. Part of the issue could be that my internet provider (Verizon, in the US) is throttling my connection to WI - I suspect because of all the image downloads needed to view the images in WI (which I have been using intensively these last weeks). I have installed a VPN and this seems to solve the disconnection issue (at least for the last hour). It also seems image previews are faster to load now that I am using the VPN. Does that make sense? I may just be imagining that previews load faster.

WI users interested in this issue of throttling internet (i.e. internet providers limit access and speed to certain websites) can read more and find objective VPN reviews here: https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/how-can-i-tell-if-my-internet-is-being-throttled-by-my-isp.

Yvan

Wildlife Insights

Nov 15, 2022, 11:20:12 AM11/15/22
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Yvan,

I appreciate you digging into this a bit more. Image load times will definitely be affected by your internet connection. However, the recent issue you mentioned in your first message is likely related to the application. Our team is currently debugging and we expect the site will be slow today or down today. I'd recommend to  hold on any work in Wildlife Insights for the day.

Thanks for all your patience,
Nicole

Wildlife Insights

Nov 16, 2022, 10:05:19 AM11/16/22
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Yvan (and all),

We've addressed the core issue that was causing the app to load slower than usual. The site should be back to normal without the issues you mentioned above. But please keep us updated if you continue to experience these issues.

Thanks for your patience!
Nicole

ysa...@g.clemson.edu

Nov 17, 2022, 7:43:00 AM11/17/22
to Wildlife Insights

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for looking into it. It does feel like it runs more smoothly.

Yvan