Classifying images and costs

Dylan Pivo

Jan 26, 2023, 3:01:03 AM1/26/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi

I am enquiring on behalf of a camera trap project that is being started in Cape Town, South Africa.

I was asked weather a machine learning solution could be implemented to classify the images of animals being captured by the traps.

I suspect that there will be a lot of species of animals that Wildlife Insights model would not have learned how to classify, in the case of un-classifiable images, is the process to manually classify them and then upload the manually classified images?

For the workings of Wildlife Insights, in order to classify images, do the images get posted to an API and then a response is returned with the classification? Can one upload one at a time or a bunch of images or either?

I'm basically trying to find out if this is a feasible option. I am obviously very eager to also contribute what the collected data, as this region (The Cape Floral Region) seems to not have contributed any data. So if you have any advice or information to help infirm me that would be great.

Kind regards

Dylan

Wildlife Insights

Jan 27, 2023, 4:41:46 PM1/27/23
to Wildlife Insights

Hi Dylan,

You can read more about the Wildlife Insights machine learning model and search through a list of all species in our training dataset on our About AI page. Our latest model, released in November, is trained to identify close to 1300 species, though I suspect there are fewer species from the South Africa region covered. We're actively looking to expand the geographical scope of our training data - so we appreciate you reaching out!

The Wildlife Insights platform has been built to make it as simple as possible to upload images, review them, and then download the data for analysis. But you're correct in that there will always be some degree of manual classification required. The models - like humans - aren't always correct. When you upload images to Wildlife Insights, the images are run through the machine learning model, and you'll see what the model predicted. Then you can use the tools in Wildlife Insights to review and edit the identifications in bulk or one by one. I'd encourage you to check out our other tutorials on YouTube to get a sense of what the workflow is like, and reach out if you have any other questions!

Nicole

Wildlife Insights team

Dylan Pivo

Jan 31, 2023, 4:35:20 AM1/31/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Nicole.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I had a look at the tutorials and understand the process I think.

I was just wondering if there was maybe an API or something similar where the images can be sent to WildlifeInsights and then the results of the AI Classification can be fetched programmatically?

I get that the process on the App itself is much more nuanced than just uplaoding and viewing the classification, but if there is an API as part of the process that would be great.

Regards

Dylan

Wildlife Insights

Jan 31, 2023, 8:16:20 PM1/31/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Dylan,

We currently don't have a way to send images and retrieve results from the AI model via API, but I'm curious how you're thinking of managing your camera trap data? Are there other databases you're using or you'd like to integrate with?

Thanks,
Nicole
Wildlife Insights team

Dylan Pivo

Feb 1, 2023, 4:08:06 AM2/1/23
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Nicole.

I'm not completely sure how the data is going to be managed. Currently what we are trying to figure out is how to build a model that can classify the species in the area. Because of the lack of data from projects in the area, I am not sure if the Wildlife Insights model will be able to classify a lot of the species. Instead of waiting until we have uplaoded enough manually labelled images for your model to classify a species we are looking at possibly developing our own model using images from other datasets.

Uploading the captured images that have been classified by our model to Wildlife Insights is still an option that I am hoping the members of the project will decide to do.

I will keep in touch about the decisions.

Regards

Dylan