This image predates bounding boxes

ysa...@g.clemson.edu

Oct 5, 2022, 11:59:44 AM10/5/22
to Wildlife Insights
Hi,

When looking to identify images, some bear the mention "This image predates bounding boxes" and (obviously) do not have a bounding box.

What's the best practice? Is it better to wait until the bounding box has been added? or it's ok to go ahead an identify the species in the image anyway?

Yvan

Wildlife Insights

Oct 5, 2022, 1:29:41 PM10/5/22
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Yvan,

Go ahead and identify the species without the bounding box. The bounding box is there to help visualize where the animal is in the image and won't impact the ability to add an identification. We'll take a look into this issue - thanks for reporting!

Nicole

ysa...@g.clemson.edu

Oct 6, 2022, 11:22:55 AM10/6/22
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Nicole,

Good to know, thanks. I wanted to make sure the model had the opportunity to be trained on the picture before I catalogued it but I reckon, training can occur at any time.

Yvan

Wildlife Insights

Oct 7, 2022, 4:09:00 PM10/7/22
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Yvan,

Our team retrains the model manually every few months using only data that has been Catalogued. You can read more about our training process and the model here: https://www.wildlifeinsights.org/about-wildlife-insights-ai

Thanks!
Nicole