Question about AI model update

Le Hoang Phuc

Jun 22, 2021, 4:20:04 PM6/22/21
to Wildlife Insights
Hi,

As far as I know, the AI model running in the backend will be updated regularly upon new images coming in and new species encounter. So I have 2 questions regard this model update:
  1. How many days in average will the model be updated after I upload and review/catalogue my data? In other words, if I upload my data today, then how many days can I expect to see a better performance in the identification function, to what extent?
  2. I find the model performance table in this link very useful every time need to look up a species supported by the AI, so will this table be updated accordingly? if yes then how often is an entry added/updated?
Many thanks,

in...@wildlifeinsights.org

Jun 22, 2021, 5:22:14 PM6/22/21
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Phuc,

Thanks for your question! Our current process to update the AI model is done by a manual retraining. Each time a new model is released, we will update the model performance table linked above so you can see how it changes in accuracy per species.

What this means for you and other Wildlife Insights users
- If you upload images today, you will need to review and edit identifications as needed for all uploaded images. Identification accuracy is important to help create a high quality training dataset.
- When our team plans to retrain the model, we will post to this group and ask for projects that have been 100% Catalogued. Those projects will be evaluated to determine if they are suitable for the training dataset.
- The new model will be trained and tested. When a new model is released, we will post a message in this group with an announcement.

This process may take several months but we are aiming to increase the frequency of model retraining and improve the process so that it is more automated. Keep in mind that the time you spend identifying images now will help you (and others!) save time processing data in the future.

Cheers,
Nicole
Wildlife Insights team

Le Hoang Phuc

Jul 6, 2021, 8:10:32 PM7/6/21
to Wildlife Insights
Great, thank you so much Nicole, it's very helpful. On that note, can I ask when will the upcoming retrain take place? I ask this because my organization is doing some tests to evaluate the many functionalities of WI in general, and AI prediction accuracy is one of them. We have uploaded a bunch of data and catalogued them properly, so we could reasonably expect the AI would perform better after the retrain. Thus, knowing the next retrain will benefit us as we could plan the testing accordingly.

Thanks,

Wildlife Insights

Jul 6, 2021, 8:19:47 PM7/6/21
to Wildlife Insights
Hi Phuc,

We plan to add more species to the Wildlife Insights AI model on a regular basis, and our goal is to support as many species around the globe that are captured in camera traps. Because this is an area of active research and development, it's hard to put definite timelines on retraining, but we'll update this group when we plan to retrain the model.

Nicole