Not able to do exploded deployment using rollout-plan in domain mode

Deepak Yadav

Sep 16, 2021, 3:57:08 PM9/16/21
to WildFly
Hi All,

In my environment, we have setup a server group in domain mode. Server group consists of 2 nodes, each node having 2 servers.

I am trying to deploy exploded application using rollout-plan so that there is no downtime for the application.

Rollout-plan is working fine with option --headers={rollout server-group(rolling-to-servers=true)} --force

But I need exploded version of the application so that I can patch files easily later on through console.

Any thoughts on how to achieve this?

Brian Stansberry

Sep 16, 2021, 4:08:59 PM9/16/21
to WildFly
Are you talking about a managed exploded deployment, as discussed at https://docs.wildfly.org/24/Admin_Guide.html#exploded-managed-deployments ?

If the latter, please note that you must ensure that a copy of the content is present on all machines that have servers in the target server groups, all at the same filesystem path. The domain will not copy the files for you.

Best regards,
Brian

Deepak Yadav

Sep 16, 2021, 6:35:26 PM9/16/21
to WildFly
Hi Brian,

It's a managed exploded deployment but I want to deploy the app using rollout-plan so that there is no downtime on my production.

I am able to do that with downtime following steps like stopping servers, undeploying app, deploying new version, exploding app and then starting servers.

But with rollout-plan, it is deploying app one by one on all servers in server-group and since app is already deployed and running, I am not able to explode it.

Thanks
Deepak

Brian Stansberry

Sep 17, 2021, 11:52:41 AM9/17/21
to WildFly
Can you post the commands you are trying?

Deepak Yadav

Sep 17, 2021, 1:42:30 PM9/17/21
to WildFly
Command to deploy app using rollout-plan:
deploy "/path_to_ear/test.ear" --name=Test_App --runtime-name=test.ear --headers={rollout main-server-group(rolling-to-servers=true)} --force

Command to exlpode app:
./jboss-cli.sh --connect /deployment=Test_App:explode

Following is the error after executing the explode command:

{
  "outcome" => "failed",
  "result" => undefined,
  "failure-description" => {"WFLYDC0074: Operation failed or was rolled back on all servers. Server failures:" => {"server-group" => {" main-server-group " => {"host" => {"node1" => {"server1" => "WFLYSRV0245: Cannot explode an already deployed deployment"}}}}}},
  "rolled-back" => true,
  "server-groups" => {" main-server-group " => {"host" => {"node1" => {"server1" => {"response" => {
  "outcome" => "failed",
  "result" => undefined,
  "failure-description" => "WFLYSRV0245: Cannot explode an already deployed deployment",
  "rolled-back" => true
  }}}}}}
}

Emmanuel Hugonnet

Sep 20, 2021, 8:08:03 AM9/20/21
to wil...@googlegroups.com
You can only explode a deployment that is not running / enabled.
Emmanuel
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wildfly/76a42d51-3560-4591-917d-4ad1bdd5a153n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wildfly/76a42d51-3560-4591-917d-4ad1bdd5a153n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.