Corporate IP 178.218.42.94 blocked on repository.jboss.org (Read timed out)

103 views
Skip to first unread message

Daniil Smirnov

unread,
Aug 4, 2026, 11:16:07 AMAug 4
to WildFly
Hello,

Our corporate IP address (178.218.42.94) appears to be rate-limited or blocked when trying to download artifacts from https://repository.jboss.org/ (e.g. receiving Read timed out for valid .jar files like org/apache/cxf/cxf-core/4.1.8-jbossorg-1/cxf-core-4.1.8-jbossorg-1.jar). Small .pom files download fine, but larger .jar files fail instantly.

We have identified the root cause on our side: our internal repository manager (JFrog Artifactory) was generating excessive un-filtered metadata request traffic (maven-metadata.xml) across virtual repository groups.

We have now strictly configured Include Patterns (limited to org/jboss/**, org/apache/cxf/**, org/hibernate/**, org/wildfly/**, etc.) on our Artifactory instance to completely eliminate all unwanted/junk traffic to your Nexus repositories.

Could you please unblock/whitelist our IP address 178.218.42.94?

Thank you for your assistance!

Brian Stansberry

unread,
Aug 4, 2026, 11:20:25 AMAug 4
to WildFly
Hi,

I reached out to someone to see if they know how to help. The WildFly developers themselves don't have any control over that sort of thing.

Best regards,

Brian Stansberry
WildFly project lead

Daniil Smirnov

unread,
Aug 4, 2026, 11:23:02 AMAug 4
to WildFly
Hello. Thank you very much. I wrote here because I didn't know any other way to contact the administrators of this repository.

вторник, 4 августа 2026 г. в 18:20:25 UTC+3, Brian Stansberry:

Brian Stansberry

unread,
Aug 4, 2026, 4:38:12 PMAug 4
to WildFly
Hi Daniil,

https://redhat.atlassian.net/browse/NEXUS-1124 is a tracker for your request. I *think* that ticket should be visible to any redhat.atlassian.net user.

Best regards,
Brian

Daniil Smirnov

unread,
Aug 5, 2026, 4:14:48 AMAug 5
to WildFly
Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have the permissions.

вторник, 4 августа 2026 г. в 23:38:12 UTC+3, Brian Stansberry:

Brian Stansberry

unread,
Aug 5, 2026, 11:05:11 AMAug 5
to Daniil Smirnov, WildFly
OK; I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

The person I pinged was unaware of any permanent blocking system. That doesn't mean there isn't one somewhere, e.g. with the CDN that's used. But if it starts to work, please let us know.

Best regards,
Brian

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WildFly" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wildfly+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wildfly/33c9e296-f332-4778-9cf6-f4eb8bb547b6n%40googlegroups.com.


--
Brian Stansberry
Collaborative Partner - IBM
Architect, JBoss EAP
WildFly Project Lead
He/Him/His

Brian Stansberry

unread,
Aug 12, 2026, 3:41:15 PMAug 12
to Daniil Smirnov, WildFly
Hi Danil,

In case this is still a problem...

The input I received confirms that the repository hostnames are not implementing a rate limiting policy.

They looked in the logs for anything related to the 'org/apache/cxf/cxf-core/4.1.8-jbossorg-1/cxf-core-4.1.8-jbossorg-1.jar' file. They found nothing corresponding to a timeout, e.g. no 504s in the month before they checked. 

There were some 301s to redirect from old locations to new, which were followed by successful downloads, some 404s due to looking in the wrong repository ("releases") and some 500s from trying to read non-existent checksums of checksums, e.g. cxf-core-4.1.8-jbossorg-1.jar.sha256.md5.

There could have been some connectivity issue on the side of the client.

Best regards,
Brian
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages