Problem implementin wildfly 27 in domain mode

Marco Muyulema

Dec 5, 2022, 11:33:17 AM12/5/22
to WildFly
Hi WildFly Team,

I'm trying to implement wildfly in a domain mode, but when I start up domain controller I have this error when I browser in my admin console :

11:37:11,385 ERROR [io.undertow.request] (External Management Request Threads -- 2) UT005071: Undertow request failed HttpServerExchange{ POST /management}: org.jboss.as.controller.PathElement$OperationClientIllegalArgumentException: WFLYCTL0110: Invalid resource address element 'topologyTasks.server=*'. The key 'topologyTasks.server' is not valid for an element in a resource address.
[Host Controller]     at org.jboss.a...@19.0.0.Final//org.jboss.as.controller.PathElement.<init>(PathElement.java:78)
[Host Controller]     at org.jboss.a...@19.0.0.Final//org.jboss.as.controller.PathAddress.pathAddress(PathAddress.java:96)
[Host Controller]     at org.jboss.as.doma...@19.0.0.Final//org.jboss.as.domain.http.server.DomainApiHandler.sendPreparedResponse(DomainApiHandler.java:337)
[Host Controller]     at org.jboss.as.doma...@19.0.0.Final//org.jboss.as.domain.http.server.DomainApiHandler.handleRequest(DomainApiHandler.java:200)
[Host Controller]     at io.under...@2.3.0.Final//io.undertow.server.handlers.encoding.EncodingHandler.handleRequest(EncodingHandler.java:72)
[Host Controller]     at org.jboss.as.doma...@19.0.0.Final//org.jboss.as.domain.http.server.DomainApiCheckHandler.handleRequest(DomainApiCheckHandler.java:91)
[Host Controller]     at org.jboss.as.doma...@19.0.0.Final//org.jboss.as.domain.http.server.security.ElytronIdentityHandler.lambda$handleRequest$0(ElytronIdentityHandler.java:62)
[Host Controller]     at org.wildfly.secu...@2.0.0.Final//org.wildfly.security.auth.server.SecurityIdentity.runAs(SecurityIdentity.java:328)
[Host Controller]     at org.wildfly.secu...@2.0.0.Final//org.wildfly.security.auth.server.SecurityIdentity.runAs(SecurityIdentity.java:285)
[Host Controller]     at org.jboss.a...@19.0.0.Final//org.jboss.as.controller.AccessAuditContext.doAs(AccessAuditContext.java:254)
[Host Controller]     at org.jboss.a...@19.0.0.Final//org.jboss.as.controller.AccessAuditContext.doAs(AccessAuditContext.java:225)
[Host Controller]     at org.jboss.as.doma...@19.0.0.Final//org.jboss.as.domain.http.server.security.ElytronIdentityHandler.handleRequest(ElytronIdentityHandler.java:61)
[Host Controller]     at io.under...@2.3.0.Final//io.undertow.server.handlers.BlockingHandler.handleRequest(BlockingHandler.java:56)
[Host Controller]     at io.under...@2.3.0.Final//io.undertow.server.Connectors.executeRootHandler(Connectors.java:391)
[Host Controller]     at io.under...@2.3.0.Final//io.undertow.server.HttpServerExchange$1.run(HttpServerExchange.java:859)
[Host Controller]     at org.jbos...@2.4.0.Final//org.jboss.threads.ContextClassLoaderSavingRunnable.run(ContextClassLoaderSavingRunnable.java:35)
[Host Controller]     at org.jbos...@2.4.0.Final//org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor.safeRun(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1990)
[Host Controller]     at org.jbos...@2.4.0.Final//org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$ThreadBody.doRunTask(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1486)
[Host Controller]     at org.jbos...@2.4.0.Final//org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$ThreadBody.run(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1377)
[Host Controller]     at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)
[Host Controller]     at org.jbos...@2.4.0.Final//org.jboss.threads.JBossThread.run(JBossThread.java:513)

I deployed an application and I have this message

"No Reference Server

Runtime attributes such as 'Status' or 'Last Enabled At' could not be read for ojdbc11.jar. No running server was found, which contains this deployment. Go to server group clapps-server-group and start a server in order to see all details."

in the Administration web console

I have implemented Wildfly 17 in domain mode working fine. I'm trying to update this enviroment to the last version of wildfly (27).

Please, Can you help me.

Yeray Borges Santana

Dec 19, 2022, 4:51:47 AM12/19/22
to WildFly
Hello Marco,

> I have this error when I browser in my admin console

Could you describe the exact steps to reproduce and/or share a reproducer? The information given in your question is not enough to identify the root cause. Can you also how you are deploying your application?

Regards,

Marco Muyulema

Dec 19, 2022, 3:11:49 PM12/19/22
to WildFly
Hi Yeray, thanks a lot for take a time to respond me.

I have WildFly 17 in domain mode (Master node with 2 Slave node). I'm trying to update this environment to WildFly 27 following  the instrucción of the management's manual:

https://docs.wildfly.org/27/High_Availability_Guide.html#Clustering_and_Domain_Setup_Walkthrough.

I start up my servers with this configuration and aparently it works fine, but when I try to check the server group information in "Deployments" seccion and "Runtime" seccion  in my admin console  I have the error previously detailed in my host-controller log.

Selección_111.png
--------
Selección_112.png

And if, I deploy an application this label appear in the detail of my App:

"No Reference Server

Runtime attributes such as 'Status' or 'Last Enabled At' could not be read for Oracle. No running server was found, which contains this deployment. Go to server group main-server-group and start a server in order to see all details."

Selección_113.png

Even though the servers are running

Working environment
  • Alma Linux 9 last update
  • openjdk 17.0.5 2022-10-18
To reproduce the event isn't necessary make all the instruction to config the domain mode, Just start WildFly in domain mode whit the default config:

- Install Openjdk 17.0.5.
- Set the JAVA_HOME environment Variable.
- Download WildFly 27 tar gz package.
- Untar and add Wildfly's user with ./add-user.sh -->  Management User (mgmt-users.properties)
- Start wildfly in domain mode ./domain.sh
- Connect to admin Console 127.0.0.1:9990 and autenticate
- Go to Deployments, Server Groups and click over the server grup's name. Check  /domain/log/host-controller.log
- Go to Runtime seccion, Server Group, slect Server Group and click over server's name. Check  /domain/log/host-controller.log

I start up Wildfly in Fedora, Centos, Windows OS and I prove open the  manager console  with Chrome, Mozilla, Opera, Edge browsers but the result is the same.

Also I proved with Oracle JDK with wildfly release 27.0.0 and 27.0.1 with the same resoult.

Best regards

Brian Stansberry

Dec 19, 2022, 5:23:30 PM12/19/22
to WildFly
This seems like a bug introduced in the work on https://issues.redhat.com/browse/HAL-1795.

That work removed the import of a string constant whose value is 'server' [1] and replaced it with a local constant of the same name whose value is 'topologyTasks.server' [2].

That's not right as the only use of the constant is to create a resource address[3], and in that resource address the correct string to use is 'server', not 'topologyTasks.server'. The result is the console is sending an invalid address, which the DomainController rejects with the stack trace you report.

I'll file a JIRA.

Best regards,
Brian Stansberry
Project Lead, WildFly

Brian Stansberry

Dec 19, 2022, 5:33:58 PM12/19/22
to WildFly
The JIRA is https://issues.redhat.com/browse/HAL-1822. Thank you for the report, Marco!

Marco Muyulema

Dec 20, 2022, 3:55:18 PM12/20/22
to WildFly
thank you very much Yeray for you help and time.

I'll be waiting a response in JIRA to continue update my servers.

Yeray Borges Santana

Dec 21, 2022, 4:17:10 PM12/21/22
to WildFly
Hello Marco,

You can give them to Brian Stansberry, who was the one that spotted the root cause and opened Jira :)
In any case, thanks to you for reporting the issue with such better accurate information about how to reproduce.

Notice that for cases like this one, you can also manage your domain by using the command line interface [1]. The Web Console is a wrapper around the CLI; if you can do something with the Web Console, you have to be able to do it with CLI as well, for sure the Web Console is very intuitive and simpler to use.

For example, you should be able to get the information given by that tab by using something like this:

[domain@localhost:9990 /] /server-group=main-server-group/deployment=oracle:read-resource(include-runtime=true)
[domain@localhost:9990 /] /host=primary/server=server-one/deployment=oracle:read-resource(include-runtime=true)

Regards

Harald Pehl

Dec 28, 2022, 6:10:51 AM12/28/22
to WildFly
Thanks, everybody, for your input. Thanks, Brian, for tracking it down to the wrong code in [1]. The code uses the wrong constant.

ResourceAddress address = new ResourceAddress()
    .add(ModelDescriptionConstants.HOST, host)
    .add(SERVER, WILDCARD);

must be replaced with

ResourceAddress address = new ResourceAddress()
    .add(ModelDescriptionConstants.HOST, host)
    .add(ModelDescriptionConstants.SERVER, WILDCARD);

I'll adjust and comment on the PR [2] and release a new HAL version asap.

Marco Muyulema

Jan 5, 2023, 4:39:29 PM1/5/23
to WildFly
Thank you so much for everything @Yeray Borges Santana @Brian Stansberry @Harald Pehl