Wiki.wiki is closing

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada

Sep 28, 2017, 7:00:53 PM9/28/17
to wikiteam...@googlegroups.com
Copy of message I just received.
----
Wiki.wiki is ceasing operations
on December 1, 2017

Dear wiki.wiki sysop,

With a heavy heart, we must inform you that the wiki.wiki hosting service will cease operation on December 1, 2017. It’s been a great ride, however, the cost of maintaining this free service has become unsustainable.

We’d like to help you transition your site to another hosting provider. If you’d like to use Porkbun as your registrar and/or web host, we can provide an additional year of registration and six months of web hosting at no charge.

Additionally, we can assist you with transferring your wiki to another hosting provider and/or registrar if you would prefer.

If the site is not moved from the wiki.wiki platform by December 1, 2017, it will cease functioning. Please contact me at ro...@toplevel.design as soon as possible to plan your transition away from the wiki.wiki platform.

Sincerely,

Ross Brackett
wiki.wiki Operations

Federico Leva (Nemo)

Sep 29, 2017, 2:23:27 AM9/29/17
to wikiteam...@googlegroups.com, st...@miraheze.org
Thanks. I always wondered how running a farm could fit their business
model in the long run.

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada, 29/09/2017 02:00:
> Please contact me at
> ro...@toplevel.design as soon as possible to plan your transition away
> from the wiki.wiki platform.

Can you ask them to produce a full dump for all wikis?

Then it would be nice to find some farm which could incorporate all
those wikis seamlessly. Maybe miraheze.org?

Nemo

Federico Leva (Nemo)

Sep 29, 2017, 8:56:25 AM9/29/17
to revi, wikiteam...@googlegroups.com, st...@miraheze.org
revi, 29/09/2017 15:34:
> Can we know the number of their wikis that need to be migrated? We are
> kind of almost short of manpower to help migrating/troubleshooting...
> Our answer will basically depend on the number of wikis to be migrated.

emijrp's list a couple years ago had 101 domains:
https://github.com/WikiTeam/wikiteam/blob/master/listsofwikis/mediawiki/wiki.wiki

Federico

Reception123

Sep 29, 2017, 1:43:28 PM9/29/17
to Federico Leva (Nemo), revi, wikiteam...@googlegroups.com, Staff
Also, I assume since all the wikis just have a .wiki domain, they all purchased domains separately with the .wiki domain?

That would mean that since Miraheze domains all use HTTPS, SSL certificates and custom domains would have to be setup for each wiki.

Reception123

Reception123
MediaWiki System Administrator,
Miraheze

Platonides

Sep 29, 2017, 8:09:23 PM9/29/17
to wikiteam...@googlegroups.com, Federico Leva (Nemo), revi, Staff
Hello

It will vary based on how they setup their wikis, but with providers
like letsencrypt, replicating a wiki config N times shouldn't be too
problematic.

Cheers

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada

Oct 3, 2017, 6:38:05 PM10/3/17
to wikiteam...@googlegroups.com

I don't think there are many more new wikis. If I recall correctly, they closed new registrations some time ago.

We could launch our script over that 100 wikis (which most are small I guess).

Federico

Federico Leva (Nemo)

Oct 6, 2017, 4:14:50 PM10/6/17
to wikiteam...@googlegroups.com, Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada, 04/10/2017 01:37:
> I don't think there are many more new wikis. If I recall correctly, they
> closed new registrations some time ago.

January 2017?
https://wiki.wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&diff=prev&oldid=1855

Nemo