Questions

Mercury Saturn

Sep 30, 2023, 6:55:37 PM9/30/23
to wikiteam-discuss
So I've been playing around with the various tools designed to archive WikiMedia projects. Mostly the original Wikiteam and its more recent fork MediaWiki Dump Generator/Wikiteam3. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone could answer:

1. There's a reason to use MediaWiki Dump Generator/Wikiteam3 over the original Wikiteam if one got both to work as intended? Is one better than the other?
2. How does one restore a local wikidump to a browsable copy of the actual site? The article at https://wiki.archiveteam.org/index.php/WikiTeam says "Anyone can restore a wiki using its XML dump and images." but does not explain how to do this. I've tried Xowa and while it works, it's rather buggy and its development appears to be on hiatus.
3. Is there a way to convert a local wikidump to a folder of html contents?
4. Is there a way to convert a local wikidump to a ZIM file?

I'd love an answer to any or all of these questions! :)

Elsie Hupp

Oct 4, 2023, 5:57:28 AM10/4/23
to 'Ben Robart' via wikiteam-discuss
Hi Ben, et al,

Full Disclosure: I am one of the maintainers for MediaWiki Dump Generator.

> 1. There's a reason to use MediaWiki Dump Generator/Wikiteam3 over the original Wikiteam if one got both to work as intended? Is one better than the other?

The only real advantage at this point of using MediaWiki Dump Generator rather than the original Wikiteam is that it is easier to get up and running. We also try to stay on top of bugs, but personally I’m not very good at that.

> 2. How does one restore a local wikidump to a browsable copy of the actual site? The article at https://wiki.archiveteam.org/index.php/WikiTeam says "Anyone can restore a wiki using its XML dump and images." but does not explain how to do this. I've tried Xowa and while it works, it's rather buggy and its development appears to be on hiatus.
> 3. Is there a way to convert a local wikidump to a folder of html contents?
> 4. Is there a way to convert a local wikidump to a ZIM file?

I don’t really have any experience with this, but there is another Python package called MediaWiki Dump, which I’m not sure, but might possibly be a fork of WikiTools, and which is for working with MediaWiki dumps, and which may be helpful in this regard:

https://pypi.org/project/mediawiki-dump/

I have been meaning to get in touch with the maintainer, Maciej Brencz <maciej...@gmail.com <mailto:maciej...@gmail.com>>, to ask about his project’s relationship with other projects in this space, but I haven’t gotten around to it, yet…

Anyway, I hope this is at least minimally helpful!

Best,
Elsie Hupp

Elsie Hupp

Oct 4, 2023, 6:13:51 AM10/4/23
to 'Ben Robart' via wikiteam-discuss
P.S. I just emailed Maciej Brencz and asked if he could respond to this thread.

Mercury Saturn

Oct 5, 2023, 6:28:12 PM10/5/23
to wikiteam-discuss
It is, thank you!:)