latest LaTeX version breaks book indexes

1 view

JR

Nov 23, 2011, 4:04:33 PM11/23/11
to wikipublisher
After upgrading my development computer to the latest version of
TeXLive, I discovered that there is a known incompatibility between
hyperref (the package that makes pdf links clickable) and texindy (the
package that makes book indexes). At present, fixing the problem
appears to be a low priority for both projects.

There are two options:

- turn off the hyperref option that tries to make page numbers in the
index clickable

- revert to using the core LaTeX makeindex package instead of xindy

I have tested the first option and indexes work perfectly again, but
the page numbers are no longer live links.

I plan to investigate the second option to see to what extend it is
possible to replicate the additional features that xindy provides.

In the short term, the next release of the wikibook pdf server will
turn off hyperlinks in book indexes.

Any insights into how to make best use of makeindex would be much
appreciated.

JR