Hello, welcome, and an apology

Gaurav Vaidya

Dec 5, 2012, 7:16:32 PM12/5/12
to wikipe...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody!

Sorry for the lengthy silence; apart from me being horribly busy all month, we've had some problem figuring out what's happening with this mailing list. In particular, all users were set up to receive no e-mails at all, which is a little ... odd for mailing list. I've temporarily set all users to receive all e-mails; please change your settings in Google Groups or drop me an e-mail and I'll make the change for you. Unfortunately, I did something really stupid in the process: one of you -- Mark? Martin? -- had your setting set to "Abridged" e-mail, and I stupidly overwrote that. Sorry! Please change your setting in Google Groups, or drop me an e-mail and I'll do it on your behalf.

Apologies out of the way: thank you so much for your interest in getting BHL and Wikipedia working together! I set up this mailing list to (1) coordinate a physical meetup with BHL staff at St Louis MO -- I think the BHL staff there could really benefit having local Wikipedians who understand their problem, and (2) so Wikipedians could keep track of what we're doing. Sometime in the next couple of months (I think?), the first extracted illustrations should be ready. Until then, there's a ton of BHL images already on the Commons (see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Files_from_the_Biodiversity_Heritage_Library and http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALinkSearch&target=http%3A%2F%2F*.biodiversitylibrary.org), so we can get a start at figuring out how to deal with lots of minimally annotated images.

Would any of you be interested in a Google Plus hangout in the next couple of days? I'm available before 12 noon MT (2pm ET, 11am PT) any time this week, next week or the weekend. Let me know what works for you!

cheers,
Gaurav

Mark Schierbecker

Dec 6, 2012, 2:53:32 AM12/6/12
to wikipe...@googlegroups.com
Hangout sounds good over the weekend. This week and next Tues. are no good for me. Once we have a date, I'll go rally the troops.

Mark Schierbecker

Dec 6, 2012, 2:56:54 AM12/6/12
to wikipe...@googlegroups.com
Next week looks even better.

Trish Rose-Sandler

Dec 6, 2012, 12:54:48 PM12/6/12
to Mark Schierbecker, wikipe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gaurav for identifying the problem and fixing it!  I am free next week for a Hangout on Thursday 9-2pm and Friday 9-4pm CST

Trish

Lane Rasberry

Dec 6, 2012, 3:28:48 PM12/6/12
to wikipe...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

East Coast office hours are best for me, and mornings then are usually best. I would attend a Google Hangout. Set up a doodle poll if scheduling gets too complicated.

Thanks Gaurav!

Lane Rasberry
206.801.0814
la...@bluerasberry.com

Gaurav Vaidya

Dec 7, 2012, 4:50:57 PM12/7/12
to wikipe...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

On 6 Dec, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Trish Rose-Sandler <troses...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Gaurav for identifying the problem and fixing it! I am free next week for a Hangout on Thursday 9-2pm and Friday 9-4pm CST
Awesome, thanks for your quick responses! Here's a Doodle poll: http://www.doodle.com/whyyaa95yyvz4zyb

Please let me know if there's a nearby time slot you'd prefer. Otherwise, hope to see you all next week! I'm ggvaidya84 on Skype, so feel free to add me and see if I'm free over the weekend as well.

cheers,
Gaurav

Gaurav Vaidya

Dec 10, 2012, 3:42:07 AM12/10/12
to Trish Rose-Sandler, Mark Schierbecker, wikipe...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

Thanks for filling out the Doodle poll! Sounds like Thursday 11am CT (10am MT) is a good time for Trish, Mark and me. Shall we meet on Google+ then? You can add me at https://plus.google.com/102641278716864463630 -- if that doesn't work, we'll move over to Skype (id: ggvaidya84).

Jenn: Sorry we couldn't work you in! We'll send an e-mail out afterwards, and maybe try to organise another Skype call with you. Hopefully we'll have a chance to talk about both how collaborations could happen as well as specific things we could do to build better connections between the BHL and the Commons community.

Lane: any chance you can make it then? If not, I'll try to ping you if I see you online on Skype any time this week.

cheers,
Gaurav

Lane Rasberry

Dec 13, 2012, 12:01:56 PM12/13/12
to wikipe...@googlegroups.com, Trish Rose-Sandler, Mark Schierbecker
Hello,

The meeting is right now, right? How do I join?