Upcoming Changes at WikiPathways

alex.pico

Feb 10, 2023, 6:22:29 PM2/10/23
to wikipathways-discuss
We are excited to roll out a series of major enhancements to WikiPathways in the coming months. These changes span from infrastructure and servers all the way up to a redesigned web site and community forum. The motivations for the new systems include long-term sustainability and improved community engagement.

Early next week we will be switching "wikipathways.org" over to the new web site. If you haven't seen it already, you can preview it at https://new.wikipathways.org. The new site has many new features:
  • Faceted search, filtered tables, and categorized galleries of pathway content
  • Linkouts to PMC articles citing particular pathways
  • Customizable profiles for all pathway authors
  • New community pages for self-organizing groups
  • Updated documentation for researchers, authors and coders
  • Fresh new design using modern standards for responsiveness and accessibility
Behind the scenes, this switch is a transition to a GitHub-based wiki model that we are pioneering. We remain dedicated to rapid, user-driven content curation at WikiPathways. This will not change. But we are now able to leverage modern version control systems along with free, sustainable infrastructure that were not around 15 years ago.

It's not too soon to join our new community forum and check out the new FAQ. The GitHub forum will replace this Google Group forum. GitHub accounts are free if you don't have one already and will be the only account you'll need to contribute to WikiPathways when our transition is complete.

In the coming months, we will be releasing a new version of PathVisio along with streamlined authoring protocols in order to complete the migration to this new platform.

Stay tuned!

The WikiPathways Team