informal survey of f reely licensed language textbooks

Ian Sullivan

Jun 13, 2012, 4:05:17 PM6/13/12
to wiki...@googlegroups.com
During my survey of freely licensed language textbook and textbook like
courses I found a number of Wikibooks and Wikiversity courses. Most of
these are primarily grammar books but a few move new students through
increasingly difficult lessons covering different common situations and
learning contexts. Since that is the sort of resource we are going to
build this summer for English I am including them below. I also added a
note to the dicsussion pages for all those pages letting the authors
know about our project, inviting them to move material over, build
lessons here and link them back to the book project, or otherwise make
use of the tools we are building.

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Spanish_1
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/German
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/French
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Miskito
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Esperanto

There was one non-Wikimedia based project that I wanted to mention, a
project called "Yorùbá Yé Mi" a beginner textbook for the Yorùbá
language. That is available under a CC-BY license from:
http://coerll.utexas.edu/yemi/

Interestingly, the format for that resource is a series of audio
recordings with accompanying PDF documents. If someone has time, we
could conceivably import those materials like the FSI lessons.

-Ian
--
Executive Director
Wikiotics Foundation