[Action required] New board member applications require comment

Thomas Shafee

Mar 15, 2018, 6:39:20 PM3/15/18
to Wiki...@googlegroups.com, WJS board
Hello all,

There is a new application to join the editorial board:
https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_of_Science/Editorial_board

It would be ideal if you could review the application (pasted below for reference) and state whether you support or oppose their addition to the board (edit link should work).

All the best,
Thomas

Application of Jack Brooks[edit source]

Jack Brooks PhD (Physiology) (website)
Areas of expertise: Cognitive psychology, Neuroscience, Neurophysiology.

Relevant experience:

Professional - Research (PhD project as well as other research projects). Currently working as a postdoc at the University of Chicago.
Publishing - Articles in peer-reviewed journals in experimental, review, and commentary formats (see https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3970-7671), multiple articles in popular science magazines (The Scientist, Australasian Science, BrainWorld etc.), and blogs. I have also peer-reviewed articles for three different journals and two conferences.
Open - Published two articles in Scholarpedia in 2017. Also helped with wiki editing and formatting in 2017. Basic use of open science framework, and of Publons.

I confirm that I will act in accordance with the policies of the WikiJournal of Science. JackBrooksDr (discuss • contribs) 14:44, 15 March 2018 (UTC)

--

AgriBio & La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science | Postdoctoral research fellow

Profiles at ResearchGate | LinkedIn | GScholar | AltMetricWikipedia

Thomas Shafee

Mar 31, 2018, 7:40:22 AM3/31/18
to Wiki...@googlegroups.com, WJS board
There have been a set of additional applications that would benefit from comment. I've pasted below for reference. I think that growth of the board will help to cover more areas of expertise, and help us support a larger publication pipeline.

All the best,
Thomas

Application of Kelee Pacion[edit source]

Kelee Pacion M.ED (Curriculum and Instruction for STEM) MLS (Academic Librarianship) MPA (Public and Non Profit Management-Graduate Dec 2018) (website)
Areas of expertise: Instructional design, science communication, research, education, and some science policy

Relevant experience:

Professional - Undergraduate Life Sciences Librarian at Cornell University- Liaison to departments of Neurobiology and Behavior, Microbiology, and Molecular Biology and Genetics- teaching students how to locate specific information for their discipline. I co-teach "Applied Science Communication" at Cornell, and teach workshops in evaluating information.
Publishing - 2 articles related to librarianship https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3355-3571 We are also working on an article on teaching with Wikipedia, but is not published as of yet.
Open - I have taught 5 courses for editing with Wikipedia and have done a few minor edits. I have also presented posters on this topic at AAAS and ACRL.

I confirm that I will act in accordance with the policies of the WikiJournal of Science. Saguaromelee (discuss • contribs) 16:02, 29 March 2018 (UTC)

Application of Edmund F. Palermo[edit source]

Edmund F. Palermo Ph.D. University of Michigan, Macromolecular Sci & Eng (2011) (website)
Areas of expertise: Polymers, Biomaterials, Biomimicry

Relevant experience:

Professional - Assistant Professor, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Materials Sci & Eng (mse.rpi.edu/faculty)
Publishing - co-author of 25+ scholarly publications, h-index 14
Open - Course instructor for WikiEd projects on Biomaterials, 2 years, ~50 students, 10+ Wiki Articles created or edited by student teams. Major overhauls were done in each course, students trained to reference peer-reviewed journal articles, reviews, and open-access materials.

I confirm that I will act in accordance with the policies of the WikiJournal of Science. MTLE4470 EFP (discuss • contribs) 14:13, 30 March 2018 (UTC)

Application of Tina Qin MS, MLS[edit source]

Tina Qin MS, MLS (website)
Areas of expertise: e-Science, scholarly communication, chemical informatics

Relevant experience:

Professional - Instructor of Chemistry and Science & Engineering Librarian at Vanderbilt University
Publishing - 10+ scholarly pulications
Open - Course instructor of chemical literature integrated with Wikipedia course projects.

I confirm that I will act in accordance with the policies of the WikiJournal of Science. VandyChem5600 (discuss • contribs) 15:41, 30 March 2018 (UTC)

Application of Loren Cobb[edit source]

Loren Cobb PhD, 44 years in academia (now retired) (website)
Areas of expertise: applied math, simulations, statistics, sociology, economics, political science, computer science

Relevant experience:

Professional - PhD-level teaching and research, consulting, writing, fieldwork
Publishing - peer reviews for academic journals, editing special issues
Open - Wikipedia (25 articles), ArXiv, open-source programming

I confirm that I will act in accordance with the policies of the WikiJournal of Science. Aetheling (discuss • contribs) 17:23, 30 March 2018 (UTC)

Application of Paula Diaconescu[edit source]

Paula Diaconescu Professor of Chemistry (website)
Areas of expertise: inorganic chemistry, organometallic chemistry, catalysis, polymers

Relevant experience:

Professional - Professor of Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles
Publishing - http://pldgroup.chem.ucla.edu/publications.php
Open - several Wiki articles and some textbook chapters created or edited by student teams

I confirm that I will act in accordance with the policies of the WikiJournal of Science. Pauladiaconescu (discuss • contribs) 00:21, 31 March 2018 (UTC)

Application of Andrew Leung[edit source]

Andrew Leung M.Env.Sc, Ph.D Candidate (Toronto) (website)
Areas of expertise: Climatology, atmospheric science, aviation

Relevant experience:

Professional - I'm completing my Ph.D research at University of Toronto on climate change impacts on northern Canadian airports. I'm also working full time in the government in weather monitoring.
Publishing - A number of peer-reviewed articles on climatology and teaching in higher education. Also published a peer-reviewed book chapter on the connection between weather and social media
Open - Started editing Wikipedia back in July 2006. Currently an English Wikipedia admin and a Wikispecies bureaucrat. I was a Region Ambassador for the Canada Education Program before the program phased out. I also ran a few Art & Feminism edit-a-thon workshops in Toronto.

I confirm that I will act in accordance with the policies of the WikiJournal of Science. OhanaUnitedTalk page 04:45, 31 March 2018 (UTC)