WikiJournal ethics statement

Thomas Shafee

Jan 8, 2018, 11:47:29 PM1/8/18
to wjmboard, WJS board, WJHb...@googlegroups.com, WikiJournal (currently at Wikiversity), Wiki...@googlegroups.com, wijo...@googlegroups.com, WikiJHum mailing list
Hello all,

The WikiJournals should soon be implementing a statement of ethics, covering issues such as:
  • plagiarism
  • misconduct
  • reviewer confidentiality
  • harassment
Many of these issues are common to all journals. In addition, a few are unique to the Wikipedia-integration features of WikiJournals: large group authorship, attribution of content from Wikipedia, and the definition of a preprint server.

It would be good to have as many eyes cast over it as possible to check that we are happy to stand by it. We can also update and amend it over time as needed.

Ethics statement draft:

Discussion held here:

All the best,
Thomas

--

La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science & Hexima Ltd | Postdoctoral research fellow

Ian Alexander

Jan 9, 2018, 10:52:17 AM1/9/18
to Thomas Shafee, wjmboard, WJS board, wjhb...@googlegroups.com, WikiJournal (currently at Wikiversity), wiki...@googlegroups.com, wijo...@googlegroups.com, WikiJHum mailing list
Thomas, colleagues,

the draft statement seems very much along the right lines.

One thing that stands out as needing attention is the statement "Authors
are recommended to avoid excessive and inappropriate self-citation." This
is vague. If it's only a recommendation then authors are permitted to
ignore it. The central terms "excessive" and "inappropriate" are currently
undefined. Perhaps "excessive" could be defined explicitly as applying to
more than x% of the text; another definition could be more than y% of the
citations. If the meaning of "inappropriate" is different from
"excessive", I'd take it to imply "for publicity" or more generally for
any purposes (such as promoting a product or service) other than
Wikiversity's.

All this would give us a draft wording along the lines of

* "Authors must avoid self-citation for publicity or any purposes other
than Wikiversity's.
* Self-citations should not apply to more than [x]% of the text.
* Further, self-citations should not form more than [y]% of the list of
citations."

I don't think we can sensibly use "must" in the second and third sentences
but they may help co-ordinators to rein in some excesses. An extreme case
is where an author has written a monograph about a rare marine worm, and
there's almost nobody else to cite. The placeholders x and y are
(therefore) not easy to specify but 30% might be a practical
starting-point for most topics.

I have very slightly copy-edited one sentence to read "Authors should read
sources before citing them, and their statements should accurately
represent the cited sources."

Ian Alexander

> Hello all,
>
> The WikiJournals should soon be implementing a statement of ethics
> <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Draft_of_ethics_statement>,
> covering issues such as:
>
> - plagiarism
> - misconduct
> - reviewer confidentiality
> - harassment
>
> Many of these issues are common to all journals. In addition, a few are
> unique to the Wikipedia-integration features of WikiJournals: large group
> authorship
> <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Draft_of_ethics_statement#Wiki_Authorship>,
> attribution of content from Wikipedia
> <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Draft_of_ethics_statement#Wiki_Attribution>,
> and the definition of a preprint server
> <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Draft_of_ethics_statement#Wiki_Preprint_definition>
> .
>
> It would be good to have as many eyes cast over it as possible to check
> that we are happy to stand by it. We can also update and amend it over
> time as needed.
>
> Ethics statement draft:
> Wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Draft_of_ethics_statement
> <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Draft_of_ethics_statement>
>
> Discussion held here:
> Wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Ethics_statement_updates
> <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Ethics_statement_updates>
>

> All the best,
> Thomas

Frances Di Lauro

Jan 10, 2018, 5:32:39 AM1/10/18
to Ian Alexander, Thomas Shafee, wjmboard, WJS board, wjhb...@googlegroups.com, WikiJournal (currently at Wikiversity), wiki...@googlegroups.com, wijo...@googlegroups.com, WikiJHum mailing list
Dear all

Excellent recommendations Ian. Could "self-promotion" which does imply publicity, be used rather than "self-citation"?

All the best
Frances

Jan 10, 2018, 5:20:01 PM1/10/18
to Frances Di Lauro, Ian Alexander, Thomas Shafee, wjmboard, WJS board, wjhb...@googlegroups.com, WikiJournal (currently at Wikiversity), wiki...@googlegroups.com, wijo...@googlegroups.com, WikiJHum mailing list
Hmmm...chiming in as someone from a humanities discipline, and someone new this process, I had imagined that the lowest hanging fruit in terms of getting contributions from active scholars to the WJH would be asking people to reframe their current research for the journal. Since we follow the standard practice of considering it as plagiarism to recycle prior published work (as per the Originality of publication and plagiarism section of the draft), it doesn't seem very practical to concurrently limit them citing their own work. Isn't the idea that we want the people at the forefront of their topic to be contributing?
Again, I might be missing something in the discussion since I'm new to the editorial board, but phrasing such as "self-promotion" seems to render problematic something that I would take to be business as usual.
All best,
Anne

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/wjhboard.

Professor, Medieval Art History
School of Art+ Design

Thomas Shafee

Jan 10, 2018, 7:25:40 PM1/10/18
to Anne McClanan, Frances Di Lauro, Ian Alexander, wjmboard, WJS board, wjhb...@googlegroups.com, WikiJournal (currently at Wikiversity), wiki...@googlegroups.com, wijo...@googlegroups.com, WikiJHum mailing list
Great feedback and discussion everyone.

I think compelling points are being made on removing the explicit self-citation limit. I think what such guidelines are attempting to achieve in other journals is to prevent people churning out papers that only cite themselves in order to bump up their own citations stats.

Perhaps it's possible to reword it as something about publications should not be for the purpose of self-promotion?

As an example, this submission by George Chandy cites a lot of his lab's own work, but then they did discover the protein and the citations are being used appropriately to support statements:

I'll make a similar comment over at the Discussion page for the record.
Thomas

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/wjhboard.

Professor, Medieval Art History
School of Art+ Design

Michaël Laurent

Jan 11, 2018, 9:18:28 AM1/11/18
to Thomas Shafee, Anne McClanan, Frances Di Lauro, Ian Alexander, wjmboard, WJS board, wjhb...@googlegroups.com, WikiJournal (currently at Wikiversity), wiki...@googlegroups.com, wijo...@googlegroups.com, WikiJHum mailing list
I think it should be up to the reviewers to decide whether any self-citation is excessive or not. Perhaps that should be explicitly asked to reviewers.

On the other hand, reviewers often ask to cite their work, which should also be discouraged unless appropriately motivated. This is something editors should be critical about, imho.

BW ML

Op 11 jan. 2018 1:25 a.m. schreef "Thomas Shafee" <thomas...@gmail.com>:

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/wjhboard.

Professor, Medieval Art History
School of Art+ Design

--

La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science & Hexima Ltd | Postdoctoral research fellow

Gwinyai Masukume

Jan 11, 2018, 9:27:43 AM1/11/18
to Michaël Laurent, Thomas Shafee, Anne McClanan, Frances Di Lauro, Ian Alexander, wjmboard, WJS board, wjhb...@googlegroups.com, WikiJournal (currently at Wikiversity), wiki...@googlegroups.com, wijo...@googlegroups.com, WikiJHum mailing list
I agree with Laurent. In my view peer-reviewers should be the main arbiters for this and related issues. Attempting to be too prescriptive might suggest, inappropriately, that the journal family doubts the professional competence of peer-reviewers.

Kindest regards,
Gwinyai

Thomas Shafee

Ian Alexander

Jan 12, 2018, 6:59:10 AM1/12/18
to Thomas Shafee, Gwinyai Masukume, "Michaël Laurent", Anne McClanan, Frances Di Lauro, wjmboard, WJS board, wjhb...@googlegroups.com, WikiJournal (currently at Wikiversity), wiki...@googlegroups.com, wijo...@googlegroups.com, WikiJHum mailing list
Thomas

in that case I think we should cut down the requirement to say simply

"Reviewers may wish to consider if the amount of self-citation is
appropriate for the article."

Ian

>>> --

>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wijoumed/CAJikOOydK4etZdCKj2H323NGsr6Tf5SOsh7dGv4UR3Gx_UNhaQ%40mail.gmail.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wijoumed/CAJikOOydK4etZdCKj2H323NGsr6Tf5SOsh7dGv4UR3Gx_UNhaQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .

> --
>
> *La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science* & *Hexima Ltd* | Postdoctoral
> research fellow
>
> Profiles at ResearchGate
> <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Shafee> | LinkedIn
> <www.linkedin.com/in/T-Shafee> | GoogleScholar
> <scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=m6Qd3zIAAAAJ> | AltMetric
> <https://www.altmetric.com/explorer/report/9048e6b2-9f82-49b4-b786-2d56740804e3>
> | Wikipedia
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Evolution_and_evolvability>
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wjsboard/CAFikvs01c5KB-bF_XccyCkmYnVO2KO8yCb3%3DaUF-VOQkMNFddA%40mail.gmail.com.

Book: The English Love Affair with Nature, 2015
http://www.obsessedbynature.com

Mikael Häggström

Jan 14, 2018, 1:45:23 PM1/14/18
to Ian Alexander, Thomas Shafee, Gwinyai Masukume, Michaël Laurent, Anne McClanan, Frances Di Lauro, wjmboard, WJS board, wjhb...@googlegroups.com, WikiJournal (currently at Wikiversity), wiki...@googlegroups.com, wijo...@googlegroups.com, WikiJHum mailing list
Hi all,

The self-citation part is now removed from the draft. I think we can let peer reviewers make case-by-case evaluations, and pending experience thereof we have the possibility to make a general guideline at a later time.

Also, there are more discussion topics relating to the ethics statement online: https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Ethics_statement

Best regards,

Mikael