video issues clarification

1 view

Candace Moore

Apr 3, 2021, 6:45:05 AM4/3/21
to WikiJournal social media, wiki...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I just wanted to send a quick clarification on issues with videos, and a note about why it matters.

Apologies that I was not able to fully attend all the minutes of the last meeting. Anyways, I want to clarify the issues I had around videos.

After our previous discussions, it was determined by consensus (against my advice) we would wait until after an article was approved to start work on a video. I believe I, therefore, requested several times not to release the publication until I quickly put together an accompanying video. My requests were ignored, and no one even bothered explaining to me why they needed to ignore my requests. On top of that, someone wrote to the authors, who had already agreed to be interviewed in a video asking if they "still" wanted to do it. In my opinion, these actions pretty much guaranteed the failure of making the video, which in order to be able to release quickly and simultaneously with the publication, I had already spent many hours on.
How can we avoid this in the future?
1. It seems really obvious to me, that if I request that publication be delayed for three days or so, at the very least, you could warn me you have a good reason to ignore such requests.
2. Please do not randomly insert more emails into an ongoing stream of emails between me and people who have agreed to do videos. I would be more than happy to involve you in the process of dealing with authors in terms of videos, but it needs to be a coordinated process.
3. If the authors agree to make a video, please do not ask them again if they really want it or not. In the best-case scenario, it is redundant and annoying, in the worst, they will take it as a sign that we don't really want to do the video. It made even me wonder if the person who sent it was trying to make sure no video happened.
4. I'm open to discuss any process that will make this smoother, so I'm open to hearing any ideas
Does it matter?
Yes, in fact, we have some submissions where video seems like it may be a necessary part of the publication e.g. radiology articles where a scrolling of DICOM images may end up having to be a video for purely technical reasons.

I hope this clarifies things. Thank you,
Makeda (Dr. Candace Makeda H. Moore, MD)

Michaël Laurent

Apr 3, 2021, 6:57:29 AM4/3/21
to Candace Moore, WikiJournal social media, WikiJMed
Dear Makeda,

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience. Good that you raise this point. Hope indeed that this can be organized in the future more efficiently.

BW ML