No Response from Peer Reviewers

Eystein Thanisch

Oct 18, 2018, 8:59:01 AM10/18/18
to WikiJHum
Hello all,

Another question. I sent out four invitations to potential reviewers for the al-Isfahani article on October 1st and have had no response of any kind to any of the invitations. Do we send out reminders under these circumstances or should I start looking for alternative reviewers?

Thanks,

Eystein

Kai Alexis

Oct 18, 2018, 12:38:33 PM10/18/18
to oyy...@googlemail.com, Wiki...@googlegroups.com
Eystein,

I am in a similar dilemma. Looking forward to everyone's responses so I can move forward.

Kind regards,

Ms. Kai Alexis Smith, MSLIS

“Activism is my rent for living on the planet.” Alice Walker

Darek Jemielniak

Oct 18, 2018, 12:41:28 PM10/18/18
to kaia...@gmail.com, oyy...@googlemail.com, WikiJHum mailing list
one reminder is fine, if no response - need to move on (from my experience as editor-in-chief of Tamara Journal for Critical Organization Inquiry and associate editor of Journal of Organizational Change Management).

dh

prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
kierownik katedry MINDS (Management in Networked and Digital Societies)

Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl

Ostatnie artykuły:

Thomas Shafee

Oct 18, 2018, 7:44:20 PM10/18/18
to Darek Jemielniak, kaia...@gmail.com, oyy...@googlemail.com, WikiJHum mailing list
I agree with Darek. It's useful to send a followup email 2-4 weeks after the first, but if no response to the second message, then alternatives have to be contacted. With WikiJournals, I've found some success on the "Peer review request: help bring Wikipedia up to academic standards" email subject line.

Good luck!
Thomas

AgriBio & La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science | Postdoctoral research fellow

Profiles at ResearchGate | LinkedIn | GScholar | AltMetricWikipedia

Frances Di Lauro

Oct 18, 2018, 10:09:04 PM10/18/18
to Kai Alexis, oyy...@googlemail.com, wiki...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone

Is it worth making requests through one of the general mailing lists? If so, which ones?

I’m sure there are Wikipedia editors who have expertise in these areas.

All the best

Frances

Eystein Thanisch

Oct 19, 2018, 4:20:36 AM10/19/18
to WikiJHum
Thanks all. I'll send out some reminders and use that subject line, Thomas.

I agree that there might be a branding/perception issue in terms of all things Wiki among more traditional academics. For that reason, it might make sense to especially target those who are clearly already sympathetic through use of the general mailing lists. However, we will need to make sure that anyone who gets involved that way as a reviewer has serious credentials in general academia, as I don't think our authors would accept any less. I am not experienced in interacting with other Wikipedia editors on the general mailing lists: is it generally possible to verify these sorts of details?

Eystein Thanisch

Nov 1, 2018, 7:35:16 AM11/1/18
to jackie....@gmail.com, Wiki...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

An update on the situation of the al-Isfahani article. 7 invitations to peer reviewers have been sent out. Of these:

5: No reply
1: Correctly identified the author and ruled himself out as a reviewer on the grounds that he was on her PhD exam committee.
1: Politely declined due to prior commitments and workload

All of these reviewers were nominated by the author. They all seemed pretty senior. Perhaps I should focus on early career academics who might be more open minded about what we are doing and potentially looking for more CV material?

Best wishes,

Eystein

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 12:12 PM Jackie Koerner <jackie....@gmail.com> wrote:
Maybe more of an intro about Wikipedia? I’m sure loads of people still don’t understand the rigor that can be on Wikipedia and the fail-safes in place.

Studies show academics use Wikipedia but won’t admit it to their colleagues. Maybe we just need to try and hope for progressive people. I’m meeting more and more fellow academics at wiki gatherings and conferences.

Don’t lose hope. 🙂 We are doing something cool and need to give the rest of the world a little time to catch up. Maybe this will happen faster if we can subtly feed them some truths about Wikipedia in the email.

Oh! Does anyone have any wiki-hesitant academic friends or colleagues to use for feedback on the email we send?

--
Jackie Koerner, Ph.D.
Researcher & Visiting Scholar

Frances Di Lauro

Nov 1, 2018, 7:45:17 AM11/1/18
to Eystein Thanisch, jackie....@gmail.com, Wiki...@googlegroups.com

Hi Eystein

Might you check back with the author for suggestions?

Thomas Shafee

Nov 2, 2018, 1:57:09 AM11/2/18
to Frances Di Lauro, Eystein Thanisch, jackie....@gmail.com, Wiki...@googlegroups.com
I've also had luck with asking declining reviewers for their suggestions.

Contacting people one rung down the seniority ladder also sounds like a good idea.

Thomas