New WikiJHum submission: Themes in Maya Angelou's autobiographies

Thomas Shafee

Sep 17, 2018, 8:07:02 PM9/17/18
to WikiJHum mailing list
Hello all,

An new submission has been made to WikiJHum via the submission form:

 - Christine W. Meyer (christi...@gmail.com)

I've added it to the tracking page. As with previous submissions, having two editors organise contacting peer reviewers helps spread the workload (if possible). They've not suggested any potential peer reviewers, so the coordinator(s) will have to identify suitable candidates to contact.

--

AgriBio & La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science | Postdoctoral research fellow

Profiles at ResearchGate | LinkedIn | GScholar | AltMetricWikipedia

Frances Di Lauro

Sep 17, 2018, 8:54:48 PM9/17/18
to Thomas Shafee, WikiJHum mailing list

Hi Everyone

I found a couple of possible reviewers who have published on Maya Angelou’s autobiographies and they may be able to suggest others:

Emily Toth, professor of English and Women's Studies at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.

Mary Jane Lupton, Professor Emeritus at Morgan State University

All the best

Frances

Dr Frances Di Lauro | Senior Lecturer

Chair | Department of Writing Studies

School of Literature, Art & Media | Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY

I acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which I live and work and pay my respect to Elders both past and present.

Rachel Helps

Sep 18, 2018, 11:06:42 AM9/18/18
to WikiJHum
Hi, I solicited this submission. I'm willing to help coordinate reviewers.

Kai Alexis

Sep 18, 2018, 11:11:58 AM9/18/18
to Rachel Helps, Wiki...@googlegroups.com
Thomas,

This looks interesting. I'd be willing to help with this too. Rachel and Thomas can you lead the way. Let me know what you'd like me to do?
Kind regards,

Ms. Kai Alexis Smith, MSLIS

“Activism is my rent for living on the planet.” Alice Walker

Rachel Helps

Sep 18, 2018, 4:12:45 PM9/18/18
to WikiJHum
Yes, Kai, thank you for your help! I made a spreadsheet for tracking reviewers (I copied it from the one Thomas made for another submission). I'll e-mail Emily Toth using the template for inviting a peer reviewer as a guide and also I'll ask Toth if she has suggestions of other Angelou researchers. Can you invite Mary Jane Lupton? She's cited heavily in the article. I'll try to find one or two other professors who specialize in African-American literature to invite. Feel free to make your own suggestions for peer reviewers too.

-Rachel
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to WikiJHum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Rachel Helps

Sep 18, 2018, 4:19:16 PM9/18/18
to WikiJHum
I'm also going to send an e-mail to Christine Meyer to let her know that we're looking for peer reviewers now. Thomas, some of the templates in the submission don't appear to work in Wikiversity. Should I copy those template over to Wikiversity somehow, or change them to use a more general citation style?

Thanks,

Rachel

Rachel Helps

Sep 24, 2018, 3:11:06 PM9/24/18
to WikiJHum
There was a miscommunication and Christine Meyer, the submitter, asked two people to review the page--a retired high school English teacher and another Wikipedia user (I've since clarified that Kai and I will be asking for peer reviewers). I think I will say that they can review the page, but we'll need two academics to review the article as well. Does that sound like a good solution?

Frances Di Lauro

Sep 24, 2018, 4:38:57 PM9/24/18
to Rachel Helps, WikiJHum

I think that’s a great solution Rachel!

Rachel Helps

Oct 15, 2018, 11:34:19 AM10/15/18
to WikiJHum
Hi, Kai Alexis Smith and I have e-mailed nine people asking them about peer reviewing the page, but no one has accepted. Does anyone on the board know someone who would be interested in peer-reviewing the page? Someone with a personal connection to the journal might be more interested than someone contacted through a cold e-mail.
Thanks,

Rachel

Kai Alexis

Oct 15, 2018, 4:21:44 PM10/15/18
to Rachel Helps, Wiki...@googlegroups.com
Rachel,

I've emailed a number as well with no response.

I will reach out to a faculty member in Ethnic and Women's Studies department and see if she will peer review it. She teaches African American Studies and her research is in food desserts and nutrition.

Any other suggestions to get peer reviewers is welcome.

Kind regards,

Ms. Kai Alexis Smith, MSLIS

“Activism is my rent for living on the planet.” Alice Walker

Rachel Helps

Oct 29, 2018, 12:33:50 PM10/29/18
to WikiJHum
Hello Kai and everyone,

I sent out a few more peer review requests today--I'm hoping we'll be able to find two interested reviewers! I also updated Christine on our search.

-Rachel

Kai Alexis

Oct 29, 2018, 2:28:24 PM10/29/18
to Rachel Helps, Wiki...@googlegroups.com
Rachel,

Sounds great. I emailed faculty at my University in the Ethnic and Women's studies department with African American concentration. I hope to hear from her shortly.

Kind regards,

Ms. Kai Alexis Smith, MSLIS

“Activism is my rent for living on the planet.” Alice Walker

Frances Di Lauro

Oct 29, 2018, 3:18:49 PM10/29/18
to Kai Alexis, Rachel Helps, wiki...@googlegroups.com

Well done, Rachel and Kai! Fingers crossed.

All the best

Frances

Rachel Helps

Nov 2, 2018, 3:22:49 PM11/2/18
to WikiJHum
One of the reviewers I petitioned for a review responded (before I had the chance to e-mail them the link to the form). I'm asking the same questions presented in the form in an e-mail. Can I fill out the reviewer form on behalf of the reviewer to add it to the "reviewer comments" page?

Thomas Shafee

Nov 3, 2018, 12:40:40 AM11/3/18
to Rachel Helps, WikiJHum
I think that's reasonable so long as you know what they would put in each section (the most important being real name / anonymous and any competing interests)

All the best,
Thomas

Rachel Helps

Nov 26, 2018, 1:58:28 PM11/26/18
to WikiJHum
Christine has responded to the reviewer's comments. Should I send e-mails to the reviewers with her responses? Thanks for your patience while I figure this out.

Thomas Shafee

Nov 26, 2018, 7:44:17 PM11/26/18
to Rachel Helps, WikiJHum
Great to hear! Could you update the tracking page to note the responses?

Sometimes reviewers will specifically request to see an article again after corrections. Otherwise it is up to the review coordinator and editorial board (WJHb...@googlegroups.com) to make the call on whether it would be useful to ask the reviewers to take a second look, or whether the comments have been sufficiently addressed.

From my experience at WikiJSci, I'd say that 90% of the time, it is clear-cut whether the author has sufficiently addressed the review comments.

All the best,
Thomas

Rachel Helps

Nov 28, 2018, 11:27:26 AM11/28/18
to WikiJHum
I updated the tracking page. I'm not sure if all of the reviewer comments have been addressed--mainly I'm not sure why there is both a lead section and an overview section. In my opinion, they should be combined (but the reviewers only mentioned there was a lot of repetition at the beginning of the page). Is this something that other members of the board should comment on?

Thomas Shafee

Nov 29, 2018, 2:15:21 AM11/29/18
to Rachel Helps, WikiJHum
Hi Rachel,

It's very common for editorial board members to comment with suggestions for improving the article (example). These can be anything from optional suggestions to strong requirements. So feel free to add a comment to the review page

After the author responds, the board can vote on whether the author has sufficiently addressed the peer reviewer comments to be ready for publication!

All the best,
Thomas

ps, the relevant template for editorial comments is {{Editor's_comments}}

Rachel Helps

Dec 10, 2018, 4:37:01 PM12/10/18
to WikiJHum
Hi, Christine has shortened the overview section, but would like to add "more information (from other Angelou articles on WP) to the Overview section, which would include how she began writing autobiographies, some biographical information, and her writing process." I'm not sure if adding to the article is allowed at this point in the procedure (after peer review). Do other editors have an opinion on this?

Kai Alexis

Dec 10, 2018, 6:10:01 PM12/10/18
to Rachel Helps, Wiki...@googlegroups.com
Rachel,

I wonder if there are any new changes the peer reviewers might take a look at the added sections. Thoughts?

Kind regards,

Ms. Kai Alexis Smith, MSLIS

“Activism is my rent for living on the planet.” Alice Walker

Thomas Shafee

Dec 10, 2018, 10:04:01 PM12/10/18
to Kai Alexis, Rachel Helps, Wiki...@googlegroups.com
I'd second Kai. Significant edits that are not a response to the reviewer comments should be run past the reviewers to check. Indeed, sometimes when an editor isn't certain that the authors edits address the reviewer comments the article can be run past the reviewer again (example)

All the best,
Thomas

Rachel Helps

Dec 12, 2018, 3:25:44 PM12/12/18
to WikiJHum
Thanks, I told Christine she could make additions but they would have to go by the reviewers again.

-Rachel

Rachel Helps

Dec 19, 2018, 2:52:47 PM12/19/18
to WikiJHum
Hi, under "Additional Information," there's a space for COI disclosure and acknowledgements. This came as a bit of a surprise to me--is it okay for Christine to write a COI disclosure and a dedication section on the page? It wasn't mentioned in the Editorial Guidelines.

-Rachel

Thomas Shafee

Dec 19, 2018, 8:53:50 PM12/19/18
to Rachel Helps, WikiJHum
I think Acknowledgement and competing interests sections are fine (though they're not copied over the Wikipedia)
  • Some people need to include their funding body in the acknowledgements to justfiy that a grant has contributed to outreach activity (example)
  • Some authors have potential competing interests that are useful to declare to make sure that any reader knows to what extend the authors are impartial (example)
The only issue that WikiJMed has had is with inappropriate tanks being given in the the acknowledgements section, and editors have had to make specific request to tone down or remove some statements (example before and after)