New grip design

Jeremiah Gärtner

Aug 11, 2014, 5:03:51 PM8/11/14
to wikihouse...@googlegroups.com
I came up with a design to secure panels to the framing without hardware (screws, nails, bolts).

Known caveats with this design:
  • It requires an angle or "V" bit when cutting the slots in panels.
  • The angled cuts should be at exactly 0 depth and without offset, otherwise the anchor pieces might not go in (Feel free to modify the design to negate this).
  • It is intended not to replace tabs, but to complement them, as the grip only secures panels in the direction perpendicular to the face of the panel, while tabs secure it in the parallel directions.
  • Feel free to mess around with the size, but:
  • The anchor should not be too deep, else the structural integrity of the fins would be compromised or the anchor might "slide out".
  • The anchor should not be too wide relative to its depth, else the anchor might be liable to "pop out".
I think that about covers it. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Anglegrip v0.1.
anglegrip-v0.1.skp

Andy Parkinson

Aug 15, 2014, 2:13:21 AM8/15/14
to wikihouse...@googlegroups.com
There's no 'like' or 'favorite' button.  So here's giving your work a thumbs up ;-)

Yes there should be alternative ways to develop the grips without relying on friction fit, and wedges.  So a good start on this

Alex Whitcroft

Aug 16, 2014, 1:06:30 PM8/16/14
to wikihouse...@googlegroups.com
Cool.