v4.2 variation test build

Akiko Kobayashi

Jul 27, 2015, 9:40:41 AM7/27/15
to WikiHouse Hardware
Hi All

This weekend we assembled the first portal frame of our Wikihouse variation on v4.2 (4.1.9?!?) incorporating the space invaders and double pegged connectors. Here's a pic, and some more info on the project is here. It's a temporary mini-community centre for an area that will soon have 400 new homes being built by the Council, but with no community building provision. We're hoping maximum local involvement in the manufacture and build of the wikihouse will encourage more people to use it over the next year and in turn lend more voices to the campaign for a permanent community hub.

One note on the components that's worth mentioning is that we discovered that the floor joists couldn't be inserted once the frame was up as it had the 'skis' screwed onto the underside before being raised. We ended up cutting off the bottom nibs so that the connector could slot in, but kept the upper nibs to locate with the floor sheathing. It compromises the straighforwardness of the component being able to go in any which way...maybe someone can suggest a sequencing that would work/was intended? I think at least I'll make the slot for the connector tab higher or lower so that it's obvious if the joist connector has gone in wrong. Our joists are also working as support for the ballast within the depth of the floor as we're not able to have foundations due the site being both temporary use and contaminated :(

This week, we'll be undertaking structural tests on the portal frame (with skis all round inside and outside to simulate sheathing), which will most likely involve a hydraulic jack at the nodes. If this seems OK, we'll machine components for another frame and then test one complete bay. I had difficulty borrowing a data acquisition unit to give me the reading off a load cell, but depending on how the use of the jack goes, we also have some heavy plant on standby from the Council as they seem to have built in strain gauges - so, several ways to skin the cat for those who don't have the resources to go for full calcs.

As I've been doing the machining myself, I've also learned a lot about router bits, spindle speeds, feed rates and working with the spruce ply through A LOT of trial and error. Happy to share learnings if anyone has specific questions.

Will of course be sharing all data via a project folder in due course once we have this next round of structural info to back up the design.

Warm wishes from Scotland :):):):)

Akiko