Mastodon social network instance set up for OERu

Wayne Mackintosh

Jul 8, 2018, 1:09:28 AM7/8/18
to WikiEducator
Hi everyone

The OER Foundation has set up a Mastodon instance which is a federated and open source social networking alternative.  (This short video provides a good overview of what Mastodon is.)

At the OERu, we do not want any learner to be forced to use any proprietary hosted technologies in order to participate in our learning opportunities, and this is why we have set up an OERu instance of the Mastodon software.

It's primarily intended to support OERu learners rather than forcing learners to join, services like Twitter. Most conversations on our instance will be focused on OERu and OER related topics, however as open technology, WikiEducator users are free and most welcome to create accounts on our instance (thanks Steve Foerster for suggesting that I post this announcement on the WikiEd list).

As a federated technology there are many different instances and communities you can join with the advantage of being able to interact with users on difference instances.

If you need a little help in setting up an account and finding out how Mastodon works - you can consult the OERu support site.

Happy tooting!

Cheers
Wayne

--
Wayne Mackintosh
Director OER Foundation and OERu facilitator

O'Connell, Judith

Jul 8, 2018, 4:24:14 AM7/8/18
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hello Wayne,

This is a wonderful development. I am very glad you were encouraged to share this information and I’m certainly keen to explore further,

All the best,

Judy

Judy O’Connell
Senior Lecturer
Course Director
School of Information Studies
Faculty of Arts and Education
Charles Sturt University
Albury, NSW 2640
Tel: +61 2 69334084
Email: juoco...@csu.edu.au

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 3:09 PM +1000, "Wayne Mackintosh" <mackinto...@gmail.com<mailto:mackinto...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi everyone

The OER Foundation has set up a Mastodon instance<http://antispam.csu.edu.au:32224/?dmVyPTEuMDAxJiYyZDdkOWJhZTFlYTcwYTI3Zj01QjQxOUM4OF84NDM0Nl81NTVfMSYmNGNmYjI0ZGU0Njg4MmY3PTEzMzMmJnVybD1odHRwcyUzQSUyRiUyRm1hc3RvZG9uJTJFb2VydSUyRW9yZyUyRg==> which is a federated and open source social networking alternative. (This short video<http://antispam.csu.edu.au:32224/?dmVyPTEuMDAxJiYyZDdkOWJhZTFlYTcwYTI3ZT01QjQxOUM4OF84NDM0Nl81NTVfMSYmMGMxYjQ0ZGZlMjI4ZmZjPTEzMzMmJnVybD1odHRwcyUzQSUyRiUyRnlvdXR1JTJFYmUlMkZJUFNiTmRCbVdLRQ==> provides a good overview of what Mastodon is.)

At the OERu, we do not want any learner to be forced to use any proprietary hosted technologies in order to participate in our learning opportunities, and this is why we have set up an OERu instance<http://antispam.csu.edu.au:32224/?dmVyPTEuMDAxJiYyZDdkOWJhZTFlYTcwYTI3Zj01QjQxOUM4OF84NDM0Nl81NTVfMSYmNGNmYjI0ZGU0Njg4MmY3PTEzMzMmJnVybD1odHRwcyUzQSUyRiUyRm1hc3RvZG9uJTJFb2VydSUyRW9yZyUyRg==> of the Mastodon software.

It's primarily intended to support OERu learners rather than forcing learners to join, services like Twitter. Most conversations on our instance will be focused on OERu and OER related topics, however as open technology, WikiEducator users are free and most welcome to create accounts on our instance (thanks Steve Foerster for suggesting that I post this announcement on the WikiEd list).

As a federated technology there are many different instances and communities you can join with the advantage of being able to interact with users on difference instances.

If you need a little help in setting up an account and finding out how Mastodon works - you can consult the OERu support site<http://antispam.csu.edu.au:32224/?dmVyPTEuMDAxJiYyYTZjOWRhYjQzZjI1NzZmYj01QjQxOUM4OF84NDM0Nl81NTVfMSYmNmRkYjQ0OWZiNjM5ZmVkPTEzMzMmJnVybD1odHRwcyUzQSUyRiUyRmNvdXJzZSUyRW9lcnUlMkVvcmclMkZzdXBwb3J0JTJGc3R1ZHlpbmctY291cnNlcyUyRm9lcnUtc29jaWFsLW5ldHdvcmslMkY=>.

Happy tooting!

Cheers
Wayne

--
Wayne Mackintosh
Director OER Foundation and OERu facilitator
UNESCO - ICDE Chair in OER
Mastodon: @mac...@mastodon.oeru.org<mailto:mac...@mastodon.oeru.org>

Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org<http://antispam.csu.edu.au:32224/?dmVyPTEuMDAxJiYyZDdkOWJhZTU3YjIwYTdmZT01QjQxOUM4OF84NDM0Nl81NTVfMSYmZWQ5ZWY0ZWUyNjc4NGZjPTEzMzMmJnVybD1odHRwJTNBJTJGJTJGd3d3JTJFd2lraWVkdWNhdG9yJTJFb3Jn>
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator<http://antispam.csu.edu.au:32224/?dmVyPTEuMDAxJiYyYTY2ODhiMjA4YjM0NjY3Zj01QjQxOUM4OF84NDM0Nl81NTVfMSYmNDgxYTY0YmU0Nzk5ZGI2PTEzMzMmJnVybD1odHRwJTNBJTJGJTJGZ3JvdXBzJTJFZ29vZ2xlJTJFY29tJTJGZ3JvdXAlMkZ3aWtpZWR1Y2F0b3I=>
wikieducator...@googlegroups.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WikiEducator" group.

Wayne Mackintosh

Jul 8, 2018, 4:40:57 AM7/8/18
to WikiEducator
Hi Judy

Appreciate your note and look forward to exchanging a few "Toots" on mastodon.oeru.org

Keep well!

Wayne Mackintosh (Mobile)
OER Foundation / OERu

Nagarjuna G

Jul 8, 2018, 11:38:12 PM7/8/18
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 08 July 2018 10:39 AM, Wayne Mackintosh wrote:
Hi everyone

The OER Foundation has set up a Mastodon instance which is a federated and open source social networking alternative.  (This short video provides a good overview of what Mastodon is.)

At the OERu, we do not want any learner to be forced to use any proprietary hosted technologies in order to participate in our learning opportunities, and this is why we have set up an OERu instance of the Mastodon software.

Wayne, it is a wonderful initiative.

Another important reason for using mastadon is it is one of the first popular social networking platform that supports the new open standard of W3C called ActivityPub.

We have created a Mastadon site for Indian OER users at https://member.metaStudio.org, which will be integrated to https://NROER.gov.in
--
GN

Wayne Mackintosh

Jul 8, 2018, 11:49:30 PM7/8/18
to WikiEducator
Hi Nagarjuna,

Thanks for sharing - great to see the OER fedverse growing in all parts of the world. Indeed, ActivityPub will become increasingly important for education institutions promoting decentralized and fedarated services.

Nice one!

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WikiEducator" group.

Steve Foerster

Feb 23, 2019, 4:42:24 PM2/23/19
to WikiEducator
For anyone who's taken advantage of this, please feel free to follow me at https://mastodon.oeru.org/@stevefoerster as I am using it actively.