Nature trail mobile app

Declan

Mar 20, 2017, 9:25:44 PM3/20/17
to WikiEducator
Hi folks.  I posted this on the FB group just now.  Not sure how best to reach the WE community these days.

What do you think of a wiki-based mobile app for nature
trails?  An educator could establish a trail using a mobile
phone/camera/GPS.  Others could follow the trail and the content would
pop up when you approached a location.....with a photo to overlay on the
 landscape (like PokemanGo but with reality....augmenting reality).
Content would live on Wikieducator and be pulled up and down to the
mobile app.

The technology could be applied to any sort of trail.....from pub crawl to historical trails to geocaching.

Luis Miguel Morillas

Mar 21, 2017, 4:19:34 AM3/21/17
to WikiEducator
Hi, Declan

It's a cool and a very interesting and collaborative idea. We have got
a wiki where teachers can upload resources and experiences and we
geolocalize them and show in a map[1]. But an app using tracks is very
interesting.

[1] https://innovacion.educa.aragon.es

Saludos,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)
> --
> ---
> "WikiEducator" group.
> email to wikieducator...@googlegroups.com.

hollisTrinidad and Tobago

Mar 21, 2017, 9:54:55 PM3/21/17
to WikiEducator
Has this app been created yet?
What software to adapt here?
Thanks.Sounds real interesting.
Hollis Sankar
Trinidad and Tobago

Kavita Sinha

Mar 23, 2017, 12:01:58 AM3/23/17
to WikiEducator
I like this initiative.
Do ask me if you need help.

Prof.Dr. KhinNiNiThein

Mar 23, 2017, 1:34:52 AM3/23/17
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Dear Wikieducators,

I am not sure I am still in the group or not. I was to caught up with Myanmar issues and nation building.
On 13 Mar 2017 we have launched a National Rainwater Harvesting Campaign. May I ask your help/support in finding basic "rainwater harvesting courses and posters"?

Thanking you in advance,
NiNi.

P.S. For those who don't know me yet, please see my short bio attached herewith. Warm greetings to all.

---
"The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence. " -- (Rabindranath Tagore)
--
Prof. Dr. Khin Ni Ni Thein (Mrs.)
Secretary, Advisory Group, National Water Resources Committee (NWRC), Myanmar

* Fellow of ASEAN Academy of Engineering and Technology (http://aaet-asean.org)

* Fellow of Myanmar Engineering Society (F.MES)

* Patron of Myanmar Green Building Code drafting group, Green Building Institute, Myanmar.

* Board Member of International Research Associates for Happy Society (IRAH)

* Global Steering Committee Member
  Global Water Partnership, Stockholm, http://www.gwp.org

* Founder and President
  Water, Research and Training Centre (WRTC), http://www.wrtcmyan.org

----

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Kavita Sinha <kavita...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like this initiative.
Do ask me if you need help.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WikiEducator" group.
Short-Bio_Prof Ni_11Jan2017(1).pdf

Declan

Mar 25, 2017, 7:00:53 PM3/25/17
to WikiEducator
That's fun Luis

I clicked on the purple circle....children planting in car tyres.  Looked like a great hands-on opportunity.

I started playing with some sites on WE trying to figure out what exactly to put on the wiki.  I learned from the Macroinvertebrate app that the images need to be small so as not to fill the phone memory.  So videos would not be good....unless there's phone service to link out to youtube.  This one would not use reusable templates like the insect templates....but would need a consistent format to talk with the app software.  I laid out the idea here: http://wikieducator.org/Trail with an example trail content here with borrowed images:
http://wikieducator.org/Trail/example It's a little ugly.  I need to figure out how to break it into blocks lined up one on top of the other.  And it needs to be as simple as possible.

Declan

Mar 25, 2017, 7:02:43 PM3/25/17
to WikiEducator
Not yet.  Just cooking up the basic idea at this point.  But, I have managed to pull something like this together before with help from Louis and from some computer science students

Declan

Mar 25, 2017, 7:03:05 PM3/25/17
to WikiEducator
Thank you!

Rendi Hernawan

Jun 12, 2017, 6:53:11 PM6/12/17
to WikiEducator
well i think that is briliant, so, we can share everything there.

David Leeming

Jun 12, 2017, 7:27:23 PM6/12/17
to wikied...@googlegroups.com

Good idea,

Relates to community mapping,

http://web.uvic.ca/~cburnett/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Geog-391-Mobile-Apps.pdf

In the locations i would be interested in, for instance a community mapping of WASH resources in Pacific Islands, we’d need to have offline maps preloaded (and the trail objects database) or some way to account for that....

Just looked for opengreenmap.org but it seems to have a problem... would be interested in alternatives

best

David